PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Weather

Nick Palmieri
08-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Shot this last week in the Adirondacks. I was out trying to shoot sunset over the High Peaks but as usual in the mountains, the weather changes very quickly. It started out very clear but as I was looking out toward the high peaks I noticed there were some clouds rapidly moving in, apparently also some rain as a I saw a rainbow starting to form for a few seconds. This is a 3 image HDR shot with my Canon EOS 5DMK2, 24-105mm at 48mm, (BTW dropped that lens in the water the next morning..at canon now being repaired..thankfully canon repair is close to my house). ISO 100, f/22, SS starting at 12s., also used a vari-ND/polarizer filter.

dankearl
08-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Nick, the water looks spectacular, and the clouds are nice, not too overdone, like some HDR photos look to me.
Nice light, colors and DOF.
It may be just the terrain, but it looks like it needs a bit of rotation?

jack williamson
08-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Very nicely don Nick! Not too much hdr. I like the leading line of the creek, the colors are great and there is just enough blur in the clouds to suggest movement. Since Dan mentioned it I beleive a little ccw rotation would help.

Jack

Jay Gould
08-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi, I think it is sufficiently square. While the LHS tree appears to be leaning, if you put a notepad line against either the RHS pines or the reflections they appear straight. The color of the grass at the right waterline appear a bit too green to the rest of the image. I might selective do a light burn to bring them closer to the grass on the left side. Otherwise, well handled.

Dave Mills
08-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi Nick, Overall I like how you framed the image with the river on the rt and the large tree anchoring the left. The flowers in the foreground also add a pleasing element. I like the angry sky and the light just hitting the rear mountains. The image looks straight but I can see how the mountains in the back are giving the illusion that they are tilting. I also agree with Jay regarding the very bright green to the rt of the river needing to be toned down a bit.
Good eye...

Rachel Hollander
08-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Nick - dramatic sky and very lush scene. Well composed. I agree with Jay on Dave on the bright greens.

TFS,
Rachel

Nick Palmieri
08-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys, great observations. I used a bubble level so I should be level but it is a hilly area so who knows, I did struggle a bit with the leveling and I thought this was the strongest. The bright area is a strip the sun was sneaking through...it does look a bit bright and over saturated to me as well so I will try to tone it down. thanks!

Susan Candelario
08-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey Nick,
Just a lovely image.... The greens are so easy to go crazy when doing Hdr's but I think you handled them well. Rt side noted above. Love, the drama in the sky and the warm & cool tones dividing it. Also the slight Rainbow makes it for me. Your comp is good and I also like the silky water and its colors. VNDF in the cart. :bg3:
~ys Susan

Judy Howle
08-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Nicely processed HDR Nick, not over-cooked. I like the composition, colors and the clouds and sky add a lot of interest. It looks level to me!

Robert Amoruso
08-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Well seen "level" image Nick. I would tone done the right side grasses.

Andrew McLachlan
08-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Nicely done Nick. Toning down the bright green grasses will make it perfect for me.