PDA

View Full Version : Semipalmated Plover

Bob Malbon
08-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Got 2 AM shoots in while in Maine last week at family reunion. This one I planned the the day before while walking the mutts and finding the beach sand had a 4 foot shelf build up between tide lines (10 foot tides in Maine). This gave me the idea of getting this low angle capture. Just after sunup, iso 800, f6.3, 1/1000, manual exp., Canon 1DMKIII on 500 f4, handheld. Crop to vert., USM on bird, BG as shoot. Bob

Bill Dix
08-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Sweet little plover with great pose and expression. I love the early morning golden light, and the artistic FG/BG. Whites on the breast are at 255 in places; maybe a linear burn layer could fix them.

Luis Villablanca
08-16-2011, 08:58 AM
I like the composition, pose, smooth fg/bg and the warm colors. I only wish I could see its feet.
I agree with Bill that the highlights on the breast look a little hot.

Sachin Saraf
08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
What a beautiful capture...Love the warm light and nice & soft FG and BG...HA and catchlight in the eye adds to this beautiful shot...Agree about the blown white on breast.

Grady Weed
08-16-2011, 10:26 AM
While the pixels on the breast are warm to hot, I don't think they distract too much Bob. If I might suggest, how about take half of the top off? That would put more room to virtually walk into, instead of the bird being almost in the exact middle. I might also help the eye to be distracted from the brown bad behind the bird. Great colors and love the early morning light Bob. Next time you come over to Maine, call me for a shoot.

Clemens Vanderwerf
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Bob,

Sweet light and position of plover, HA, etc. I would crop from the bottom and the left, and a sliver of the right. My only problem with the image is the dark BKGD underneath the plover. Seems as if you would have moved to the right, you would have had a more clear piece of BKGD.

arash_hazeghi
08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
I like the ambiance and the smooth sand, good HA and a nice pose. looks like parts of chest was blown and is a bit lacking in details. nice work TFS!

Arthur Morris
08-16-2011, 03:09 PM
My first impression was that even for EML the image was way to yellow. I opened it in PS and found the breast showing hot. I simply reduced the yellow SAT 20 points and the "over-exposure" disappeared. This is well covered in several posts in the ER, BPNs most over-looked resource. It is also detailed in Digital Basics. Best part is it still looks like EML. Also cropped for the repost. Though orig and repost are tiny in kbs IQ looks fine.

Michael Lotito
08-16-2011, 08:51 PM
I like thetwist in the sand. Great subject and well captured.

Bob Malbon
08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks group. I have little time to to photograph these days and much appricate the help on this image! Grady, Maybe this Winter with the Wolves!! Bob