PDA

View Full Version : Water Lily

John Storjohann
08-16-2011, 08:27 AM
I wanted to push this one a bit more...original image was taken with the 100-400 at 400mm, f/22@1/200. Processed the RAW file in LR and cropped about 20% from the top to give it more of a panoramic feel; brought it into PS and evicted a background pad from the URC that I couldn't avoid in the original composition...added a bit of canvas to the LHS so I could re-create the tip of one petal that was clipped in the original capture. Create a layer for Topaz Detail and Topaz Clean, just adjusting the sliders manually...then took it into Fractalius, started with one of the presets, and just tweaked until I had the effect I was looking for. This is way outside of the box for me...Jay, you should be smiling! :t3...and a little outside of my normal comfort zone, but we'll see where it goes! Looking forward to comments and suggestions.

Indranil Sircar
08-16-2011, 09:15 AM
John, I really like what you came up with... the pano framing with the crop works for me with focus on the strong center and petals. Great colors and contrast. Excellent OOTB composition!

denise ippolito
08-16-2011, 03:29 PM
John, I like the effect and good for you to step a little bit more out of your comfort zone. I am not 100% sold on the crop but it's your vision that really counts. If it were mine I might take some off the right side to off center the middle of the flower. Nice job w/ the filtering combo.:S3:

John Storjohann
08-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Denise, I like your suggestion about centering the lily more, bud didn't want to crop the RHS...I wanted to leave the petals intact. So....I extended the LHS side instead using content aware fill. :e3 Does this move it in the direction you suggested?

denise ippolito
08-17-2011, 03:47 PM
John, It looks good.

Susan Candelario
08-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Hi John,
I really like the flower and the vibrant colors Nice to see you cranking up the filtering effect as well. I would just clean up the background and around the edges a bit more. One easy fix would be if you select the burn tool and set the mode to shadows in the options bar. Otherwise another very nice waterlily image from you.