PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Impala

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Found this one while working through some unprocessed images from December 2009. Taken in the far Northern Kruger National Park, a pristine and unspoilt spot to where I am returning on Saturday for a week's safari.

Taken in the last light of day on an open pasture.

Techs:
Nikon D300s with Nikkor 200-400mm f4 VR @ 310mm
f4.0 @ 1/640 SS @ ISO-400

Clemens Vanderwerf
08-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Morkel,

Lovely image with sweet soft light. Two perfect head angles (suppose the same rules apply here as with birds!). I would remove the three OOF branches in the LLC.

Steve Canuel
08-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Nice moment Morkel. I like how the baby is framed between the mom's legs. Also nice to see catchlight in the baby's eye.

Stan Cunningham
08-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Nice shot in great light. I agree with the removal of the oof limbs, and I'd probably try to get rid of the one running up her front leg.
Stan

Steve Kaluski
08-17-2011, 04:00 AM
Hi Morkel, looks like you are getting to grips with your new toy.

A sweet & tender moment, but I can't help feel it has an almost 'clinical' feel. Why I say that is, nothing down to the concept, it's the almost pristine quality of the Impala, everything is just perfect, no marks, clean lines, lovely form and contours, the ultimate Impala! I trust you can understand where I am coming from? Perhaps a move to your left may have given a better angle, to avoid the bushes in the BKG and offer a better sight of the youngster suckling. sadly I can't comment on colours as I am away and at present going through this at a BMW dealership. :w3 Just trying to maximise my time.

TFS
Steve

BTW Hope to dust down my new kit this week. :bg3:

Rachel Hollander
08-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Morkel - a very tender moment but I too can't help but wonder if moving to the left would have improved the view of the youngster. IQ is excellent as usual.

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
08-17-2011, 08:10 PM
With the greatest respect to the previous posters, I don't think moving to the left would have given much more in the way of a view of the youngster's face. To see more you would really have to have managed a lower angle, move left a little bit (not too much) and to have had the mother's near side hind leg back rather than forward. I only say this after having spent many, many years photographing brood mares and foals. A perfect looking impala is fine with me. :bg3: Never noticed the oof vegetation until it was pointed out, as the impalas really are the centre of attention.

Morkel Erasmus
08-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Thanks for viewing and commenting everyone.

Clemens - I prefer not to use cloning in my images depicting natural history, except when processing 'fine art' type monochrome images...So the twigs will stay for now :c3::t3

A sweet & tender moment, but I can't help feel it has an almost 'clinical' feel. Why I say that is, nothing down to the concept, it's the almost pristine quality of the Impala, everything is just perfect, no marks, clean lines, lovely form and contours, the ultimate Impala! I trust you can understand where I am coming from? Perhaps a move to your left may have given a better angle, to avoid the bushes in the BKG and offer a better sight of the youngster suckling. sadly I can't comment on colours as I am away and at present going through this at a BMW dealership. :w3 Just trying to maximise my time.
BTW Hope to dust down my new kit this week. :bg3:

Thanks Steve. Why are you hanging out in BMW dealerships?? You know those types of toys only steal money from the photo kitty?? :bg3::w3

Not sure why the 'ultimate impala' look should be an issue? :e3:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
08-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Tell me about it Morkel, best part of a MKIV for some TLC to the 'Silver speed machine'. :2eyes2:

On a serious note, the comment wasn't a 'issue comment', it was just a 'descriptive', of how I saw the Impala.:S3:

Morkel Erasmus
08-18-2011, 04:09 AM
Tell me about it Morkel, best part of a MKIV for some TLC to the 'Silver speed machine'. :2eyes2:

On a serious note, the comment wasn't a 'issue comment', it was just a 'descriptive', of how I saw the Impala.:S3:

Oooh so which "silver speed machine" do you operate? I have one too, though it's not a Beemer :w3

Thanks I thought that's what you meant, just wasn't sure due to the phrasing :bg3:

Dumay de Boulle
08-18-2011, 12:27 PM
I quite like this...Very nice appeal! Colors are great!

DanWalters
08-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Very nice image! Like the nursing behavior and nice color.