PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Lotus Blossom #2

Bob Miller
08-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Another Lotus blossom taken at Kenilworth Gardens outside DC. Rainy day light! Is the green haze at the bottom a distraction?

Nikon D3s
200-400 @ 400 mm
1/50 f5.6
ISO200
All comments welcome

christopher galeski
08-16-2011, 03:22 AM
nice image Bob,like all the veins in the petals,the green at the bottom of the picture does not bother me,but the picture might look better,if the BG was all black,I would give it a try if it was mine.thanks.

John Storjohann
08-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Bob, this is a simply beautiful lotus blossom. I love the color...the green at the bottom doesn't bother me although I might be tempted to darken it just a smidge. I'd also think of looking at tightening up the crop just a little...a bit from the left, a bit from the top and bottom...not much, just a little. Great detail...effective use of your DOF. You've got a winner!

Dave Leroy
08-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Lovely detail and sharpness for 1/50 and at the long end of the lens. The green at bottom does not bother me although I would be tempted to look at some "radical" crops. It is a lovely flower as presented, but I wonder if an attempt to move more off centre would be an option.

Backlighting worked great.

Dave

Daniel Cadieux
08-16-2011, 09:09 PM
I love the colours and especially the "glow" of the petals!! Excellent details. The green itself at bottom does not bother me, but I wish it was smoother like the green at right (less "turbulent") and not touching the petal. Otherwise this is pretty darn sweet...

Steve Maxson
08-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Wow, Bob - those colors really jump out at you! Great detail in the petals. I'm OK with the green, though I think Daniel makes a good point about the "turbulence" - you might try smoothing out the green just to the right of the stem. The comp is working fine for me, though I'm always interested in considering alternatives, too. This is very nicely done!

Rene Quenneville
08-17-2011, 07:05 PM
great image, fine details and a good choice of DOF, very pleasing.

Ken Childs
08-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi Bob, the colors and glow of this are fantastic! I love backlit subjects and this one couldn't look much better! I don't think the BG needs to be completely black but if this were mine, I'd lightly paint over the lighter areas near the bottom and the right, just to darken them a bit. Very nicely done! :5

I used the black eyedropper in curves and clicked in the middle of the greenish area on the right and it looked pretty good. I can't say it looked better but it definitely gave it a more dramatic look. :S3: