PDA

View Full Version : The Vegan

dankearl
08-15-2011, 10:09 PM
First time post in the Wildlife section here as I don't see a lot of large animals in the city where I live.
This is about as fearsome as they get here. A squirrel eating expensive specimen plants at a botanical
garden. There were only a couple of stalks left of this Gunnera plant. He was eating them like rhubarb.
1/250
f2.8
iso400
200mm (70-200 f2.8)

DSC_0484nx.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=98778&stc=1&d=1313463754)

Rachel Hollander
08-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Dan - nice to see you posting here. Nice sharpness and detail. I might crop a little from the rhs.

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
08-16-2011, 03:59 AM
Hi Dan, I don't think that the dof is helping this image and wonder if you could have upped the ISO a bit (not sure what camera you are using). I find the oof shoulder a bit distracting as you follow the sharpened head, go through the oof shoulder and then onto the back which is sharp. I like seeing the way his claws are gripping the stalk, and the texture of the plant itself is very nice. Did you manage any other angles? A slightly turned head towards the camera would enhance the image, and if we saw the teeth gnawing … well that would be fantastic!! :S3: I used to have gunnera growing on my property but they didn't last long. Too cold I imagine.

Clemens Vanderwerf
08-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Dan,

I agree with Hillary on the large OOF part of the squirrel. A vertical crop might work too. Crop from the left right to the intersection of the squirrel's and the OOF green in the back, and a crop from the right to include the vertical stem of the leaf. A slightly better HA showing the teeth would have been a bonus.

Stan Cunningham
08-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Have to agree on the 2.8 caused 00f shoulder. But I really like the look in it's eye so if you can figure out a crop I would definitely keep it. Background is nice too.