PDA

View Full Version : You gotta love grass!

Clemens Vanderwerf
08-15-2011, 10:08 PM
This image was created in the evening at 8:33pm in Geographic Harbor, Katmai National Park and Preserve, Alaska during the Bear Boat IPT with Arthur Morris and Robert O'Toole. This brown bear was eating grass in anticipation of the salmon run in the nearby river.

Removed some OOF grasses.

This image was created with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens at 800mm, and the EOS-1DMIV. ISO 2000. Evaluative metering: 1/320 sec. at f/8.0 set manually.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Rachel Hollander
08-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Almost looks like a fu manchu mustache. I like how the ears are turned in different directions. As with Artie's, the POV really takes this image to another level.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Nice pose here Clemens...love the soft light and the 'emerging from the grass' look.
Good sharpness on the eyes given your techs, I would chop some space off the LHS to place the bear just off-centre :w3

Arthur Morris
08-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Well done. This is the mom of my "Got Grass?" cub :). Love your perspective, the mouthful of grass, and the mis-matched ears. ps: with all due respect to the Morkman the bullseye COMP here works perfectly for me.

Ofer Levy
08-16-2011, 09:39 AM
This is a great image too! Can you see a difference between your OP and this repost? I've only converted to sRGB.

Arthur Morris
08-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Again the repost is too dark and dense for my tastes. Folks need to remember that even on calibrated monitors that the same image will likely NOT look the same to everyone. MACs and PCs and differences in the ambient light where the images are being viewed all make a difference.

Clemens, out of curiosity, what color space are you seeing for the posted image in Pane 1?

Ofer Levy
08-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Again the repost is too dark and dense for my tastes. Folks need to remember that even on calibrated monitors that the same image will likely NOT look the same to everyone. MACs and PCs and differences in the ambient light where the images are being viewed all make a difference.

Clemens, out of curiosity, what color space are you seeing for the posted image in Pane 1?
Again Artie, I haven't done anything to the image - just converted to sRGB.

Arthur Morris
08-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Again Artie, I haven't done anything to the image - just converted to sRGB.

As I said twice above, when I saved the image in Pane 1 and opened it it shows as sRGB. Do I have an explanation for that? No sir.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Lovely image. I like the composition. The grass stalks on the left are curved to our right and the bear is nicely framed. I would have gone for a horizontal composition like the OP.

The repost by Ofer looks a bit more saturated. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ofer Levy
08-16-2011, 10:16 AM
As I said twice above, when I saved the image in Pane 1 and opened it it shows as sRGB. Do I have an explanation for that? No sir.

If it was really saved as sRGB how come you can see such a difference between the OP and my repost....?:w3

Clemens Vanderwerf
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
This is a great image too! Can you see a difference between your OP and this repost? I've only converted to sRGB.

Ofer, the difference with your post is way more saturation compared to the OP, especially in the greens. I prefer the OP as it is closer to the actual situation.

I have recheck the colorspace of the OP and it is sRGB when opened in PS.

Clemens Vanderwerf
08-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Well done. This is the mom of my "Got Grass?" cub :). Love your perspective, the mouthful of grass, and the mis-matched ears. ps: with all due respect to the Morkman the bullseye COMP here works perfectly for me.

Actually, this is not the mom of your "Got Grass?" cub. It was taken the next day along the regular river bank. After this male bear snatched a fish and ate it, he when into the grasses to continue eating grass.

Morkel Erasmus
08-16-2011, 11:16 AM

I was in a hurry when posting this morning, and should have added to my comment: "...though I do like the central placement in this one, so either way is a-okay"...:t3:c3:

Again - interesting observations on the colour space. Clemens' OP shows up as sRGB when I save it from Pane #1 and open it up in CS5. Converting to sRGB with my standard action for saving to web delivers no difference to the image on my monitor...:Whoa!::eek3:

Ofer Levy
08-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi Clemens,
Have a look at this thread regarding colour space.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/86502-Keeping-a-watchful-eye-on-me-common-loon-and-chick?highlight=srgb
Cheers

Stan Cunningham
08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
I love the eyes, ears, and even the placement. Be glad to have such a good shot myself. I know monitors can be different, but on mine the image looks a little oversaturated. The nose is so dark it looks like it has one large hole instead of 2. My monitor is calibrated with Spyder 3 but if no one else but Ofer and I notice it, oh well. It would just be minor tweek to fix, but I seem to be in the minority.
Oh by the way, my hat's off to you and Art for getting such sharp shots with an 800 at 1/250. Not always easy even with a great tripod.
Stan

Jamie Douglas
08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I have to say I do prefer the repost but besides that this is awesome!! So much depth with the OOF grass behind the bear and what a great looking bear.

Slight nit is that I would be tempted to lighten the nose just a touch to show a little nostril definition.

This image could sell me a bear tour on its own if I had the cash :)

Dumay de Boulle
08-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Very nice image. Colors are great and love the feel from the look on the BB's face...I would say I prefer your colors and image to the 'Got Grass' image.