PDA

View Full Version : Grass Seeds

Dave Leroy
08-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Taken a few days ago down in one of local marshes.
7D, 100mm f/2.8 macro plus 20mm Kenko tube, 1/500, f/8, Av, +1/3, ISO640.

Dave

Julie Kenward
08-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Dave, I really like this! You did very well with the extension tubes here. I'm wondering, though, if the wheat was really as pink as it is showing here (could also be my monitor - haven't stopped to calibrate it in a while!) I find myself wishing there was a tiny bit more negative space to the left side and maybe a shave off the right but, overall, I really like the detail, the subject matter and the beautiful light in this image. I can't quite decide on the one very white strand that pulls my eye out of the frame but I also can't imagine it not being there. Let's see what the others think...

Bob Miller
08-15-2011, 08:51 PM
dave ...I like the colors on the LHS but not so much the RHS. I would crop very tight to the left hand side and perhaps make it a vertical. Just my two cents!

christopher galeski
08-16-2011, 03:24 AM
interesting image,like it,nice BG.thanks.

John Storjohann
08-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Dave, I really, really like this...fantastic image. Like Julie, I find myself wishing for a bit more space on the LHS...other than that...I just want to sit back and admire the view you've created! Great color...great composition...I love the lines drawing your eye through the image...fantastic detail...nicely done!! :cheers:

Dave Leroy
08-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks everyone. I do have another with a tad more on the left and less on right and less dof for a softer look, and no sort of offending line zipping across bottom, but I chose this one.
Jules I did check the RAW file and RED channel is about same so perhaps it it the type of grass. I do probably get carried away a bit in ACR.

Dave

Daniel Cadieux
08-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Man, the thumb does not do this image justice...glad I clicked on it! I like this alot, but that one slightly darker and thicker vertical OOF blade in LRC just makes me wish it wasn't there. Super job with this.

Steve Maxson
08-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi Dave. This is an interesting take on this subject. I really like the light and the sharpness on the seeds on the left side. Nice handling of the whites on those seeds - they look bright, but not blown. I think I would like the image even more without the second clump of seeds in the background. It's hard to tell for sure, but they look as though they're suspended in mid-air - and they tend to pull my eye from the cool elements on the left. :S3:

Ken Childs
08-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Hey Dave, Jules has pretty much covered my thoughts so there's no reason to repeat them. Regarding the white strand she mentions, I think you could easily shorten it so it ends before the edge of the frame....it's worth a try. :S3:

Anita Bower
09-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Wonderful composition!