PDA

View Full Version : Lioness

Dumay de Boulle
08-15-2011, 03:14 AM
Got lucky the other day..I was was watching Wildebeest with my guests and chatting about them when all of a sudden they started scattering in all directions. This Lioness came running out from behind a rise behind them. She was found out but it was still a great and unexpected event.

Canon 1D MKIII
Canon 100-400 L IS
AV f6.3
TV 1/640
ISO 800
Exp +0.33
AWB
RAW file processed in CS5 iMac

Crits appreciated:S3:

Hilary Hann
08-15-2011, 03:23 AM
Looks like you had great light for this one, and it was fortunate that it is lighting her most visible side. Beautiful eyes and muzzle detail and I like the one ear flicked back giving a sense of being totally aware of her surroundings. Of course, if she had been in with a hunting chance, she probably would have had both ears fully towards her prey! :S3: Love the background softness and colour and the way all the twigs blend nicely with the surrounds.

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2011, 03:59 AM
Wow Dumay, for me one of your best wildlife images yet. Lovely IQ, perfect light, great setting, pose and DOF with schweet colours.
:5:cheers:
I like the space you gave her...maybe slice a wee bit off the RHS and top just for better balance?

Are you in your new 'home' yet?? Looking forward to the 'spotties' you will get to photograph from there on a regular basis! :Whoa!:

Marc Mol
08-15-2011, 04:31 AM
You were blessed with perfect lighting conditions here Dumay and you made this most of this with a well framed frontal stance.
TFS

Jay Gould
08-15-2011, 05:13 AM
Mate, glad you were ready for the capture; and, capture you did. Lovely image.

Dumay de Boulle
08-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the comments folks...Hilary, well spotted on the ears. At this stage she had realized that she was caught out and decided to walk straight toward me. Glad you pointed out the ears as the direction that ear is pointing is the direction of the Wildebeest. Also one of those things I should look for when choosing an image to post. I revisited the sequence of RAW images to see if there was 1 that both ears were cocked forward, there were none sadly.
Morkel, I leave for Thornybush on Wednesday...Cant wait to hear and see the spotties again...Very excited mate!

Steve Kaluski
08-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Nice looking Lioness Dumay, good sense of alertness and posture.

Wonder if the is a hint too much red coming through, but bolstering the yellow balances things? Just a thought. :w3

Just lifts those lovely eyes, the lioness that is. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Dumay de Boulle
08-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Nice looking Lioness Dumay, good sense of alertness and posture.

Wonder if the is a hint too much red coming through, but bolstering the yellow balances things? Just a thought. :w3

Just lifts those lovely eyes, the lioness that is. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve...Added 13 points yellow and removed 9 red in selective color to the repost. Let me know if its better!

Steve Kaluski
08-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi Dumay, now you know the direction of where I was going, more to the point, do YOU think it is better or not as you do have a comparison in which to compare?

Steve

Grant Atkinson
08-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Dumay, this is a cracking shot...and the low light angle worked perfectly for you. Good techs too, and this has the feel of a high class lion image to me. At least you got one ear cocked forward...nice walking pose, wonderful light in the eyes, and sharp as can be. Good job all around
cheers
grant

Vivaldo Damilano
08-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Love this Dumay, perfect walking pose and eye contact. This making me want to go back to the bush, terrific image mate. Also looking foward to the spotties :S3: Enjoy Thornybush:cheers:

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2011, 09:36 PM
I like the look of the second post.

Rachel Hollander
08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Dumay - great light, walking pose, eyes, detail. It tics all the boxes for me and the second post just takes it over the top.

TFS,
Rachel

Tom Graham
08-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Download both images, lioness6-LC (original) and lioness6-LC-YR.
Flip from one to the other. Do you see ANY difference, anywhere??
I do not.
Tom

Morkel Erasmus
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
As a matter of fact, Tom, I do...but it's more in the background than on the lion. But the difference is there...and by looking at the adjustments Dumay indicated he made, I would say it was always going to be a very slight difference. :w3

Please try and keep the tone of the questions and comments civil...

Tom Graham
08-16-2011, 02:04 PM
thanks Morkel
I apologize if I came across rather blunt.
Tom

Steve Canuel
08-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Nice pose, light, and clarity in this one Dumay. Can't exactly pinpoint the difference without spending a bit more time studying but the second one looks just a touch nicer to me.

Steve Kaluski
08-17-2011, 03:06 AM
Apologies Dumay, but based on the above comments perhaps I should have given more feedback on your repost rather than asking if you thought my suggestion was of help and wether your were happier with the tweaks & the end result.

My suggestions and how far we move the various sliders and adjustments in PS is all subjective and what I may see will be totally different to the next person, irrespective of having the same kit & set-up, as Mac's will show something different compared to PC's, plus, how WE also interpret it too, ie see it. However, this is an old chestnut that has been covered time & time again and does not warrant opening up again.

For all concerned this was my take on the suggested tweaks, but felt it didn't require posting, however Dumay I thought I best post to help to bolster your repost and clarify where I was going on my thoughts. Sorry to clog the thread. :w3

Steve

RakeshDhareshwar
08-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Steves repost makes this amazing image look perfect . Lovely walk towards you , the eye contact and DOF adds !!!

Jay Gould
08-23-2011, 04:20 AM
I have to go with RP1; the OP was a bit red and RP2 is a bit yellow. Having never seen a lion in the wild I am, of course, guessing.

Chime in those that have had the fortunate experience!