PDA

View Full Version : Lewis River Falls

dankearl
08-14-2011, 09:11 PM
A well known and photographed waterfall in the US Northwest.
Usually photographed in the open below the falls and I took some of those, but I liked this version
through the trees.
A bright sunshine day unfortunately (I thought it would be overcast which I prefer, before I made the 2 hour drive)
Very hard to meter right.
I also liked the inclusion of the fisherman on the bottom left, which gives some scale.
1/30
f11
iso100
24mm

DSC_0525n5.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=98720&stc=1&d=1313373903)

Don Railton
08-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Hi Dan

I like this a lot and you can almost smell this picture. There is a nice feel and it 'draws you in' to want to look around the corner. I am also glad you did not use too low a shutter speed to get that overly silky water fall look which I think is unrealistic and a bit overdone. I think the exposure is spot on and the inclusion of the fisherman important from a scale point of view. You could probably lighten up the area around him just little to give him something to stand on...

DON

Dave Mills
08-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Dan, I feel you handled the exposure and water flow well. IMO, compositionally I might have devoted more to the lower part of the falls(showed more base)then frame 2/3rd of the image on the top...

dankearl
08-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Dave, I totally agree.
I should have looked over the photos I took a bit more.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_0526.jpg

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Dan,

I like the second post better and feel the inclusion of two persons helps to make them more noticeable and better sets the scale.

Rachel Hollander
08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Dan - I like the second post better. With the first I wasn't thrilled with where the middle branch on the rhs was placed, feeling it blocked the top of the falls and the emphasis of the image. In the second the pool at the bottom is more the emphasis and the branch's placement doesn't bother me in the same way. Nice job on the exposure and ss.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
08-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Hi Dan

I too prefer the second post and agree the second fisherman adds to the composition..

DON

Dave Mills
08-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Dan, Ditto on the second post...lots better

Morkel Erasmus
08-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Another vote for the 2nd post Dan! Lovely falls and I too can almost smell the freshness here. I wish the branches on the RHS were not there as I want to see more of the top of the falls and BG, but understand you were probably in a position of limited mobility? :S3:

Nick Palmieri
08-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Like the re-post...may be my monitor today but the trees appear a bit dark to me. Great SS used on the waterfalls. TFS.

jack williamson
08-16-2011, 06:21 PM
I liked the first post but the second is awesome. The color of that water is fantastic. It is very hot here in south MS and I would love be there! As stated 1/30 was a perfect ss for that water flow and I would have never realised the size of this place without the inclusion of the fishermen for scale. There are some dark places in this image but the main points of interest are perfect. Well done.

Jack