PDA

View Full Version : Broad-billed Hummingbird

Luis Villablanca
08-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Here is another hummer from my trip to Arizona.
This one was photographed in Madera Canyon.

It was shot at a feeder, without flash. The background is the forest/grass from the area.
The feeder had multiple spouts so the hummingbirds were arriving from multiple directions.
We plugged all but one with small sticks so we could more or less prefocus at the one left open.

On the PP side I cropped to about 60% and cloned out the feeder.
I used Nik Viveza to lower the brightness on the body around 30% so it would look more evenly lit.
Let me know if it's still to bright for you or if looks odd in any way.

Broad-billed Hummingbird - Cynanthus latirostris
Canon 1D Mark IV, 500/4 + 1.4x TC, 1/2000s, f/8.0, ISO 800

Thanks for looking,
--
Luis

Doug Brown
08-14-2011, 07:25 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Nice wing position and head angle. You did well for a natural light shot! Brightness looks good on the body. You didn't mention whether you sharpened or not, but the bird looks slightly over-sharpened in a couple of places.

Luis Villablanca
08-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks for commenting Doug!
I always sharpen the resized version using the standard sharpening for screen option available in the Lightroom.
I do this to compensate for loss of sharpness due to the scaling.
This usually works well without artifacts but in this case the feathers of the hummer probably need less sharpening.

Here is a version with the sharpening level set to low.
Let me know if you still see the artifacts.

Craig Kerr
08-15-2011, 01:17 AM
Stunning action Luis, repost an improvement, not that there was much wrong with the original post :bg3:

arash_hazeghi
08-15-2011, 02:57 AM
looks very nice Luis, I would bring the sharpening even a tad lower. nice eye contact and pose

Stu Bowie
08-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Luis, it seems to be HB season in the states with all these postings. :w3 I like the angle, wing position, and the iridescence is simply stunning. The overall brightness looks good, and your repost works well. I do like the smooth BG. Well captured.

Michael Lotito
08-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Very nice hummingbird shot! I really like the first version but changes you made improved an already great image.

subramanya_ck
08-18-2011, 03:28 AM
Simply Superb