PDA

View Full Version : HDR for a mid day scene

Rene Quenneville
08-14-2011, 04:18 PM
This picture is from a few weeks ago. I was bicycling in the valey of the Malbaie river and stop at this scene in awe. I found the view very beautiful but I was in mid day!!! This is a 3 exposures HDR. Please give me you opinion on composition and colors. Hand held hyperfocal is not easy...

1/320s, 1/160s, 1/80s
Iso 400
f/16
56mm

Dave Mills
08-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi Rene, your so right about HH HDR's not being easy. A slight movement can screw up the end result and it looks like you were very steady due to the image being pretty sharp. You framed the image nicely with the 2 bushes anchoring the foreground. The viewer has sight through the valley leading to the far mountains and interesting sky.The light looks muted and not harsh. I might select the sky and try and reduce the cyan especially on the left otherwise nice image...

Susan Candelario
08-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi Rene,
Nice job HH for an HDR. I have done it a few times in pinch. Easy to see why you were in awe of the scene. It's quite lovely. Dave offered a good suggestion regarding reducing the cyan. Nicely seen and done.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

dankearl
08-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Works for me, the water is really nice, I am not a big fan of HDR clouds in general, yours looks a bit "hdr" to me, just not realistic.
I think it needs a bit of rotation, but overall, a nice scene, especially handheld.

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2011, 08:57 PM
The fact that it was a high contrast day and you captured shadows to highlights well using HDR, does not make it overdone. On an overcast day, you could create a similar look though the clouds might look different. Using Nik's Tonal Contrast, you can create a similar look in the clouds in a single image exposure.

I agree with Dave on the cyan reduction in the sky.

Rachel Hollander
08-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Well done for hh and I agree on reducing the cyan. Nicely composed and I like the hint of red from the berries in the fg.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi Rene...

It doesn't look too 'overdone' to me and I think you did well in capturing multiple exposures handheld. I too find the cyan a bit strong. The composition and framing is very nice.
Just watch on the LHS mountain ridge there's a processing halo :Whoa!: