PDA

View Full Version : Serval hunting

Marc Mol
08-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Captured this guy on our last day in the Mara, in fact we were on our way to the airport when we came across him stalking something (unsuccessfully) in the tall grass.
One of only a few images where the front torso was visible.

D3s 500 f/4 VRII 1/640s ISO400@f/5.6 cropped to portrait.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Marina Scarr
08-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Absolutely stunning cat, and I understand they are difficult to photograph. I wish for just a tad more room on the right and bottom.

Rachel Hollander
08-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Marc - great sighting, seems there's always something special on the way to the airstrip to keep us going back to Africa. I like the portrait crop and nice that you got a clear view of the elegant head, good detail too. I would prefer a little more room below.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
08-14-2011, 05:00 AM
Thanks Marina & Rachel

Here's a rear view showing the overall beautiful markings and those magnificent white tag follow me ear tips. :bg3:

Vivaldo Damilano
08-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Excellent Mark, I find the crop different and would have prefered the whole cat but it still work nicely as is. I definitely prefer it to the rear version:bg3: TFS:cheers:

Arthur Morris
08-14-2011, 12:15 PM
For a front-end vertical portrait you needed to have pointed the lens more to your right for more room behind the front legs and a lot less room in front of the animal. A beautiful cat for sure and love the rear view/ear tag view.

Steve Canuel
08-14-2011, 01:10 PM
The OP is a little tight for me but I like the focused look and the raised paw. Also like the rear view shot, shows off the markings and takes us along for the hunt.