PDA

View Full Version : D3 AF settings for Birds

Lance Peters
03-31-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi - just trying to come to grips with some of the D3'S advanced AF capabilities.

Have been using 51point 3D tracking with mixed results - Just wondering what anyone else is using.
Is anyone using Auto area AF (set on the af selector on the raer of the camera) I understand that it overrides all other af settings and uses colour recognition and closest subject to track.

Anyone had any good results from it???

thanks
lance

Robert O'Toole
03-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Auto seems to work fine but I think your 51 point 3D would be a better set up for action (BIF) than Auto.

Are you dropping focus? Are you having a problem locking on with Dynamic 51 +3D?

Try Dynamic area AF @ 21 points, menu a3, if you are having a problem with 51.

Also set focus tracking to slow, menu a4 (will drop AF slower). Also try AF-C priority to release, menu a1.

Remember you have to use the focus point selected to lock on the subject before it will track.

Robert

Mike Dale
03-31-2008, 11:11 AM
For BIF I often use 51 pt 3D when above the horizon and it works well (thanks Fabs). If there are trees etc then I use 21 or 9 pt.

Lance Peters
03-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the replies - have been using 51 3D but find that it often looses focus or jumps to something else. I will give yur settings a try robert, I think they may well hold the key in particular I think my s4 is set to fast.

Thanks

lance

Robert O'Toole
03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the replies - have been using 51 3D but find that it often looses focus or jumps to something else. I will give yur settings a try robert, I think they may well hold the key in particular I think my s4 is set to fast.

Thanks

lance

Also, if the AF point does drop you have learn to re-aquire focus on the subject by lifting your finger quickly. This will usually do the trick, but you have to learn to do this by habit, without really thinking about it, otherwise you may be too slow. I use AF-On only (rear button AF) usually 100% of the time.

Robert