PDA

View Full Version : Giotto's MM8670 carbon fiber monopod

John Guastella
08-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm about to purchase a monopod to use in those instances when my tripod/gimbal support system is not convenient. I was going to buy the Monostat RS16K ART because it has received excellent reviews (and I like the "swivel toe stabilizer") when someone pointed out that Giotto's sells a very similar CF monopod -- the MM8670 -- which is priced about $80 less. Not that much cheaper, but, hey, we're in a recession! Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on the the MM8670, in particular its durability and stability. I will be using it with a Canon 7D and Canon 500mm f/4 combination, mounted to the RRS MH-01 monopod head. Both monopods have a max load rating of 15kg, so they should be able to handle the weight of the gear easily. The main differences between the two products appear to be the number of sections (the Monostat has 4, the Giotto's 5) and the max length (the Monostat is 157 cm, the Giotto's is 173 cm; for context, my height is 173 cm (5'8").

Thanks in advance for any and all advice,

John

John Guastella
08-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Thank you for that feedback, Peter. I'm not sure the extra height of the Giotto's over the Monostat is an advantage for me, as I will probably use my tripod/gimbal for BIF shots. I suppose the stability issue with the Giotto's at full length is due to it having five segments, rather than the four of the Monostat. Other than the stability issue at full length, have you found the Giotto's to be a reliable and durable monopod? Do the segments extend and retract smoothly?

Thanks,

John