PDA

View Full Version : Juvie White Ibis

Mike Fuhr
08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I recently found a neat place for shooting birds in South Carolina -- it's the Pickney Island NWR about an hour north of Savannah Georgia and adjacent to Hilton Head Island. It's easy to get to and has a gravel road up the middle of the island for easy getting around by foot (cannot drive). It also has a lot of coastal areas/marshes along with some freshwater lagoons.

I spent a few hours at one of the ponds under camo waiting for the many ibis I saw the afternoon before. They finally started flying back in at about 8 a.m. This was one of the birds that posed for a short time. Minor crop and some sharpening added.

D300
100-300 F/4 w/1.4TC
420mm
F/5.6 (-1.0 ev)
1/500
ISO 400
Tripod mounted

Troy Lim
08-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Side lighting, not the most ideal way to lit up this ibis. Check the whites on the neck, seems a bit bright. Tough lighting angle. TFS.

Daniel Cadieux
08-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Sidelighting sometimes works, but here I'm not super crazy about the shadow and light play in the face and there is a blown patch of feathers on the chest. I also wish the bill in the reflection was detatched. I like the water, nice ripples going on in there. Details look good, and I like the tiny drop hanging off the bill.

Grady Weed
08-13-2011, 02:11 PM
I have to agree with Daniels comments above. A more frontal lighting and less exposure would have been better. Still a good effort.