PDA

View Full Version : Theme Wire Tailed Swallow Calling

yogesh_puranik
08-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi All,

this was taken against the very early morning light. I have done lot of PP like leveling, highlights/shadow to brindout the details. I know this is not that much sharp but i liked the moment captured. I think there is a halo around some parts due to S/H. Can somebody suggest me how to avoid that?
I don't remember the EXIF but it would be: Canon 500D|Canon 55-250@250mm|ISO 800|F5.6 or F6.3 (not sure)

http://www.indianaturewatch.net/images/album/photo/2819124d744e4d0097b.jpg

Randy Stout
08-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Yogesh:

I like the calling pose, you got enough detail on the near side to make the lighting work for me. The perch works pretty well for being man made.

Yes, I can see the halos on several areas, both bird and perch.

With careful masking you should be able to reduce the halo effect. I don't use S/H much, but it can be useful when applied sparingly.

You could try some subtle fill light in ACR to help bring up the near side. You have to be careful or you lose too much contrast, but a touch often helps.

Cheers

Randy

jack williamson
08-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Yogesh this is a pretty bird with a nice calling pose. I have found the s/h function to be very usefull for me but only in very small amounts and not for every image. I like the bg but can't figure out what the diagonal brown strip is in the fg. Jack

yogesh_puranik
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi randy,
thanks for the feedback. If possible, could you please work on PP and provide me the pped version? if possible :)

Thx Jack for the reply. Actually it is a grass twig. do you think to clone it out?

Randy Stout
08-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Yogesh:

If you post an original unedited copy of the image, I will take a crack at the post processing. When it needs a lot of manipulation, working on a small jpeg isn't very satisfactory, but I can give it a go.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
08-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Yogesh, well timed for the calling pose, and the colours look good. I agree with Randy, careful masking helps to reduce halos, as does not oversharpening. To have the light coming from behind you is first prize.