PDA

View Full Version : The Source of Lake Louise

Rachel Hollander
08-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I did the walk to the other end of Lake Louise in Banff National Park, Alberta,Canada. The massive lake is fed by what appears to be just a small stream and glacial runoff.

Canon 7D
16-35 @ 33mm
1/50
f10
ISO 200
HH, CP filter, late morning. S/h adjustment to the clouds, levels, LCE and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Dave Mills
08-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi Rachel, there are some good compositional elements within the image. The tree grouping is anchoring the left along with a strong diagonal mountain slope. Filling the area on the rt are the mountains and a nice cloud topping with the stream in the FG acting as a LL. If this were mine I would either show more of the rock on the LL or remove it. Good eye on this!!

dankearl
08-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Rachel, I like the view, but it seems a bit over processed for your usual photos.
It seems like it needs a bit of softening to me.
The forest is dominate when the mountains in the distance seem like they
should be the focus of the scene.

Morkel Erasmus
08-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Rachel my first thought here was "why 33mm???" :Whoa!: - personally I want to see a tad more of this scene, particularly the mountains in the back and on the RHS :bg3:...

Nice layers though. As presented I would crop some from the bottom to below the biggish rocks on the LHS, tone down overall highlights through a luminosity mask and then add a hint of extra saturation for pop...:S3:

Rachel Hollander
08-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Thanks Dave, Dan and Morkel for the comments. Dave - I'll take a look at cropping out the rock. Dan - not a lot of PP other than selectively on the clouds and the mountains at the end of the lake. This one was to show the stream rather than the mountains. Morkel - 33 mm because I did not want to show the path with people on it on the lhs or the Fairmont hotel at the other end of the lake so I cropped in camera to avoid those.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Dave Mills
08-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi Rachel, rather than cropping it I would clone out the rock...

Judy Howle
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Another beautiful scene with rich colors and good detail. I agree with Dave on cloning out the rock instead of cropping.

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2011, 09:24 PM
I agree too.

Hi Rachel, rather than cropping it I would clone out the rock...