PDA

View Full Version : Columbian Ground Squirrel

Rachel Hollander
08-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Not as much wildlife as I had hoped on my trip to Alberta, Canada last weekend. These guys were easily spotted though so I spent a few minutes photographing one.

Canon 7D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/1000
f5.6
ISO 400
EC +2/3
HH while lying on the ground, cropped to pano, s/h, contrast boost, desat yellows and greens and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Charles Glatzer
08-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Hello Rachel,

The ground level perspective works well here, placing us into the subjects world. The image is sharp and full of detail.
The red muzzle appears a bit over saturated. Placing the subject further right in the frame with more room in front than behind would further enhance this fine image.

Best,

Chas

Rachel Hollander
08-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks Chas for the comments and suggestions. I could not decide if I needed to leave room behind for the virtual tail since it is hidden by the grass.

Rachel

Steve Canuel
08-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi Ravhel,
Agree with Chas on the muzzle, sharpness, and the nice low angle. Some grain/noise is visible but its nice and tight and not really that objectionable to my eye. Just a bit more noticeable than most posts on the web. As for the virtual tail, tough call. You know this animal has one but I personally would've cropped closer since there's not even a hint of tail coming out the back of the body with this view. Similar approach to an animal coming out of a burrow for me on this one.

Arthur Morris
08-14-2011, 02:08 PM
I too would have moved the critter back in the frame. Killer red face and very sharp. Again, the BKGR is problematic; not sure if it is noise or bad boken but it sure is jangly....

Rachel Hollander
08-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks all. Here's a repost with the suggested crop and a round of NR on the bg.

Rachel