PDA

View Full Version : Sail Boats

dankearl
08-11-2011, 12:53 AM
A friend asked me to take photos of him at his sailboat race on the Columbia River.
I used my 300 f2.8 w/ 2X to get this, a long ways away on the shore.
Stormy weather but the sun came out just in time.
The I-5 interstate lift bridge in the BG.
I wasn't sure whether this fit the Landscape forum or not, but here it is.
1/1250
F7.1
ISO320
600MM
DSC_9370nx2.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=98459&stc=1&d=1313041586)

Dave Mills
08-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi Dan, I like the fact you concentrated on 3 boats which make for an interesting comp/ The sails are nicely lit with good detail. I would have preferred the rt hand boat not clipped along with more room on the bottom. The image would probably be stronger if concentration was placed more on the boats then the surroundings...

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Hey Dan,
Always the dilemma when shooting at that magnification but excellent points by Dave above. I don't mind the environs.....shows they race in all sorts of places! The light was really wil and worked in your favor a bit but I still may tone down just the boats a bit more. If it wasn't clipped and so tight.....this would have been over the top!

Rachel Hollander
08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi Dan - looks like a fun event to shoot. I'm not such a fan of the bridge in the back but at events sometimes these type of things can't be avoided. I agree with Dave and Roman about the whites of the sails and the clipped boat. Hopefully, you can shoot another race.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Dan, besides the clipped boat mentioned, I would have preferred more room below and at left for the boats to move into. Also agree on toning down whites.