PDA

View Full Version : Dawn at Moraine Lake

Rachel Hollander
08-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Taken from the Rockpile at Moraine Lake, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada. The color of the water comes from the glacial silt/flour but varies with the light.

Canon 7D
16-35 @ 16mm
1/6
f18
ISO 400
Tripod, remote release, CP, slight s/h, LCE and NR in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Dave Mills
08-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Hi Rachel, I was at this exact location about 4-5 years ago waiting for the light to hit the mountain tops. I didn't see this angle at the time and wish I did. I like your foreground treatment with the jutting rocks on one side and the main reflection filling the other side. Beautiful light with the nice addition of a cloud in the perfect spot. I like it very much as is but might try a small contrast adj(not much). Very well done!!

dankearl
08-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Rachel, just beautiful, I agree on the contrast as the mountains could use a bit more punch, but the water is awesome and
the comp is really good.
Very nice, I am envious.

Brendan Dozier
08-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Beautiful mountain scene captured and nicely composed, Rachel! Wonderful light, exposure, and reflection is nice touch. Must have been amazing to see it in person!

Judy Howle
08-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Beautiful scene and an excellent composition with the rocks in the foreground and the reflections. The colors are wonderful.

Steve Kaluski
08-11-2011, 01:33 AM
AHHA, Rachel this makes we want to go back, very nice indeed, well composed with great reflective colours.

If and it's a very big IF, I go back next year to do my bears again, we will plan to spend a week around here & Banff again.

TFS as it has brought back some lovely memories. Trust you had a good time and managed to achieve what you wanted to do.

All the best
Steve

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Hey Rachel,
Had a moment before I leave so dropped by.......a Classic for sure! Haven't been there in a number of years but on my return list! As mentioned above....a bit more contrast on the mntns. but an easy tweak to a very nicely composed image! If this is any indication.....looks like your trip was a success!

Rachel Hollander
08-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. The Canadian Rockies are a great place to go to shoot landscapes. I hope you won't tire of them as I shot a lot.

Here's a repost with a selective boost in the contrast on the mountains as suggested.

Thanks again,
Rachel

P.S. Roman have a great trip. Looking forward to seeing some wildlife posts from you when you get back.

Dave Mills
08-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi Rachel...looks very good to me!!

jack williamson
08-11-2011, 02:43 PM
This is a very majestic shot. I would love to canoe that lake! The adjustment has taken away some detail in the leftmost mountain. This is also a very good documentary shot showing how much erosion is taking place on these mountains.

Jack

Rachel Hollander
08-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks Dave and Jack.

Morkel Erasmus
08-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Lovely scene Rachel - these North American lakeside mountains are high on my wish-list to see and photograph one day! :eek3:

I like your repost but would like to see more detail in the left-side rock-face? How about opening up the shadows there and dropping contrast selectively?
I am also curious as to why you shot at ISO-400 since you were on a tripod? I found the 7D files at ISO-100 to be almost noise-free when shooting landscapes so the need for the NR you applied would have been negated.

Rachel Hollander
08-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks Morkel - I tend to keep my 7D on ISO 400 for a default setting unless the light is bright or I need more ss for wildlife. This was just after dawn so not a lot of light. Next time I can experiment with lower ISO.

Here's a repost selectively lightening the shadows on the lhs.

Thanks,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Rachel,

I would agree with Morkel, for this type of image and on a tripod, ISO 100 is the way to go with the 7D. I use ISO 200 when light is bright and shooting action. I only use 400 to higher when needing the shutter speed.