PDA

View Full Version : Haytor Rock

Jerry van Dijk
08-10-2011, 02:03 PM
From my holiday in Dartmoor National Park, UK. Possibly the start of a series, because I took many more!! This is on of the two very popular Haytor rocks. During the day, it's nearly impossible to get a picture without people in it, but this was on our way back from dinner, with a setting sun and a sudden break in the clouds.
I still don't own a grad filter, so I applied some serious PP, which may show in the result. Fill light at 100 to light up the FG and rock, graduated filter with EC -1.6, some saturation and clarity added. Levels, S-curve, sharpness and NR.
D7000, AF-S Nikkor 16-85 ED-VR @ 34 mm, ISO-500, F/9, 1/800. ACR 5.7, CS4

Dave Mills
08-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi Jerry, The framing is done well with the rock offset and giving the nicely lit sky the majority of the image however I might just add a small bit to the bottom. I also might look and see if you have the rock lit as well since that will add an important element...

Robert Amoruso
08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I agree with Dave that some more on the bottom would have been nice. In such instances, two exposures - one for sky one of ground - can be blended later to get a higher IQ.

Rachel Hollander
08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Nice comp with some good suggestions above. There seems to be a halo on the top of the rock, maybe from the PP.

TFS,
Rachel

Brendan Dozier
08-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Like how you compose this shot, Jerry, makes for a very interesting and pleasing composition! Like the POV, great sky, and unique looking rock makes and interesting subject. Good suggestions above to improve it, but nice work!

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Hey Jerry,
Great advice above! I'm off to Tanzania running my tour......so may miss the series but I will check in when I return. I think the comp is great because of the sky and keeping in mind some of the thoughts both about the comp and the 2 exposures mentioned by Robert will allow you to wait on the ND filter a bit longer:bg3:. I still think you did a very good job all around!

Jerry van Dijk
08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks all! Adding to the bottom makes sense. The halo will probably be an artifact of the PP, but its not from selecting the sky separately, I only applied a digital grad filter. I'm travelling without a tripod, so it might prove difficult to make a double shot for sky and rock, although there are many boulders around to stabilize the camera. I'm now trying my hand at making two RAW developments of the same image, one for the rock and one for the sky, and combining them. I will try to post one later.
Thanks for comments and suggestions! Roman, have a good trip, Tanzania sounds great!

Judy Howle
08-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Very nice sky and I like your placement of the rock and agree with others that a little more on the bottom would be good.

Jerry van Dijk
08-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks Judy!