PDA

View Full Version : Bumblebee on Globe Thistle.

Daniel Cadieux
08-10-2011, 06:36 AM
These beautiful flowers growing in my front yard sure do attract bees. I have about 30 blooms on this plant, and it seems that every second flower has either a Honey Bee, Bumblebee, or Wasp (different species too) on it. I can't let them wilt without taking advantage of the photo opportunities!! I even saw a Crab Spider hidden in one of them, but it disappeared quickly...gonna be on the look out for that one too.

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro (now MINE!!:c3:), manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/125s., f/4.5, ISO 800, natural light, handheld (elbows braced on porch railing).

jack williamson
08-10-2011, 12:33 PM
This is real good Daniel. Good detail where it is sharp. I like the comp and of course the bg could'nt be better.

Jack

Jason Stander
08-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi Daniel... great shot... firstly the exposure is spot on... well balanced comp... good details maintained... I think personally the dof is a tiny bit too shallow... a larger insect needs maybe an aperture of maybe 8-14... otherwise get your own macro lens... you did well!:w3

Carel v/d Sanden
08-11-2011, 03:37 AM
Making macro from the hand is not easy.
This is well managed.
The color combination is beautiful.
I use the same camera and lens combination, but almost never take pictures out of hand.
Well done Daniel.

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Hey Daniel,
Congrats on the lens! Yeah...more DOF would be nice.....but I think it works as presented also! Now I've got to get you to pop in a bit of flash......so you can HH at 1/60 SS with good technique! Very nicely done and looking forward to seing a bunch more from you when I return!

Steve Maxson
08-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi Daniel. Congratulations on the new lens! It looks like you're jumping right in at a very high level. I'm impressed at the IQ for hh at 1/125 - these bees are usually on the move unless they are thoroughly chilled after a cool night. Comp, light, sharpness, and background are all excellent. A little more DOF would be nice, but this is working for me, as presented. Very well done! Keep them coming!

bhavya joshi
08-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Congrats Daniel for New Lens.. and great Macro.. Nice eye contact on bee. and color and details.. Agree with above comments on DOF.. No worries.. Next time. :S3:

John Storjohann
08-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Daniel, this is a really nice capture...I'm going to go the the other way and say I actually like the shallow DOF...it gives a nice sense of depth and helps draw my eye to the key elements of the image. Beautiful color and tone, and you couldn't ask for a smoother background...I look forward to seeing more of your work with the 100 macro.

Susan Candelario
08-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi Daniel,
Agree with all the good comments above. I like it very much. Nice job & enjoy your new lens.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner