PDA

View Full Version : Heads-up Gannet

Ben_Sadd
08-10-2011, 04:17 AM
I have not posted for a while, but I just managed to get a few gannet images on a weekend trip to the UK. I was trying hard to get clean backgrounds, which was not always so easy given that I was on the same cliff as the birds. If I was only interested in perched birds I would have dropped the ISO to 400, but I was also interested in capturing take-offs.

I have returned to my old method of using three rounds of USM on the subject after trying smart sharpen for a while and not getting satisfactory results.

Any C&C welcome.

7D
500mm f/4
Manual
1/800
f/6.3
ISO 800

Randy Stout
08-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Ben:

I like the combination of the rocky cliff and distant surf. Nice pose with crop to allow room to look up into. Like the visible ribbing on the top of feet.

Sharpening looks OK to me in general. Might hit the eye again.

Glad you had a chance to get out.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
08-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Nice environmental capture, and I like the behavior. I also like the prominent feet. Glad you were able to get out to photograph and to share with us.

Jim Crosswell
08-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Nice image Ben. I like the setting, feet and clean BG.

jack williamson
08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
This is a very nice gannet and perch. The bg is just right and the three rounds of usm look real good to me. Great composition.

Jack

Ben_Sadd
08-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks all for your comments. I hope I can get back to participating fully at bpn once again from now on.