PDA

View Full Version : Tufted ducks landing

Gordon McKechnie
08-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Took this a few months back. I've cropped about 50% and cloned out a duck swimming out of shot.
Canon 50D
100-400mm @ 400mm
1/1600
f5.6
Exposure comp +0.67

All comments welcome

Jeff Cashdollar
08-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Lot's to like here great moment in nature. The take off process is spell binding and I love to watch when possible. The habitat is beautiful and the techs look solid. The large crop hurt the crispness, ducks are a bit soft and eyes could be clearer. The blacks look a bit blocked IMO. Challenging exposure black and white subjects. Might try Shadows & Highlights, Levels (mid range slider) if you use PS to open up darks. I would crop some off the bottom or top as well. The composition is good and you are on the right track here - keep em coming.

Kerry Perkins
08-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Hi Gordon, I like this one a lot - nice action captured. I think a better sun angle would have put more light on the faces of the ducks. Good comments and suggestions by Jeff. I feel the birds maybe a little closer to the center, as the left part of the image seems cramped to me. Others may/will disagree. :c3:

Don Railton
08-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi Gordon

I agree with Kerry's comment about shifting the birds to the right as they feel a little jammed into the corner to me as well. I also think the lighting makes it a little difficult to get good detail here. Are the birds are landing..?

DON