PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news from the Masai Mara

Hilary Hann
08-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Not sure where to post this but I know many people have enjoyed seeing the wonderful photos of a cheetah raising her 6 cubs, however, early news coming through says that a cheetah and one of her 6 cubs has been killed by a lion in Naboishi. Could be Shingo, if so I hope her surviving cubs are old enough to cope without her. It will very sad if it is her as she has had a tremendous following. I think Harshad is there now so perhaps he will bring back news. If anyone gets updates, I'd love to get them.

Harshad Barve
08-09-2011, 08:44 PM
I will be reaching Mara on 19th Aug 2011 , Here is one blog about Shingo http://paul-kirui.blogspot.com/

Hilary Hann
08-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks Harshad, I get Paul's updates but the Shingo news is old and the deaths have only occurred recently. More news will come through soon.

Steve Kaluski
08-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Hilary perhaps Ken Dybal may know, I could drop him a line?

Hilary Hann
08-10-2011, 02:36 AM
He may do Steve, certainly the more people we ask the better. I have emailed a friend of mine who works in the Mara but until he is online I won't have an answer. News is thin on the ground and I don't know whether the news is being kept quiet because she is famous (doubt this) or whether they are having trouble with the ID or whether it was because the incident was reported to be in one of the conservancies adjacent to the main reserve. Anyway, I have my tentacles out looking for an accurate update and anyone else's tentacles would be welcomed! :S3: I know her cubs have been trying to hunt but they are only just over a year and it seems young to be independant. Not that I am wishing it was a different cheetah, any cheetah loss is sad in my eyes. I wish BPN had a sad smiley. :(

Hilary Hann
08-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Just got a report that she was well on Aug 4th and was seen hunting successfully. Fingers crossed.

Andy Biggs
08-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I will be there in a few weeks and will report back at that time. We will probably all get information before then, but I will just report my own findings. I will be running two different safaris there, and will be splitting my time between Mara Plains Camp, Mara Explorer and Governors' Camp.

Andy Biggs
08-11-2011, 03:49 PM
whoops. double post.

Hilary Hann
08-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks Andy, appreciate any updates. (twaffle from Safaritalk)

Andy Biggs
08-13-2011, 07:59 AM
I just emailed my friends Jonathan and Angie Scott to see what they know to be true. I will let you know if I hear anything back. They aren't in the Mara at the moment, however they would know if anybody should know.

Andy Biggs
08-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I just heard this back from Jonathan Scott:

Hi Andy - Shingo and her 6 year-old cubs are still ok - had headed back to Mara Simba area and the No-Go area to East of Talek to Sekennani Road.

The mother who was killed - plus one of her 5 ten-month-old cubs disappeared (people say lions) - was another female who used to hang out in the Naiboisho Conservancy. The four surviving cubs are doing well - 3 males and a female - they killed small TGs and are being shepherded by Naiboisho rangers (Gerard Beaton of Rekero and Jackson know the current state of play). Maybe the rangers will need to give them a little 'help'. They just need to avoid taking livestock!

Best from us

J and A

Hilary Hann
08-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Thank you Andy, I'm very grateful for your efforts. The biggest relief is that the surviving cubs are hunting and that the cheetah known widely as Shingo continues raising her 6 cubs. Can't help but feel sad for a mum who managed to raise 5 cubs and get this far. Tough world out there.

Andy Biggs
08-13-2011, 07:41 PM
I am pumped, because I will have about 14 nights in the Mara early next month, and will hopefully have some good photo ops of Shingo and her cubs. I have been following their progress for the past 10 months. Great news, indeed.

Harshad Barve
08-14-2011, 09:40 PM
can't wait to see them again :S3: Thanks Andy for info

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Great news indeed...not heading there anytime soon...but always good to hear an 'iconic' animal keeps surviving the hardships of the wilderness! :S3:

Andy Biggs
08-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I have been 'in the business' of running African photo safaris for the past 10 years, and I have only seen a handful of mother cheetahs with 5 or more cubs that have made it past 6 months of age. It is pretty amazing to see one with 6 cubs that are pushing a year now.

Marc Mol
08-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the initial heads up Hilary.

I just heard this back from Jonathan Scott:

Hi Andy - Shingo and her 6 year-old cubs are still ok - had headed back to Mara Simba area and the No-Go area to East of Talek to Sekennani Road.

The mother who was killed - plus one of her 5 ten-month-old cubs disappeared (people say lions) - was another female who used to hang out in the Naiboisho Conservancy. The four surviving cubs are doing well - 3 males and a female - they killed small TGs and are being shepherded by Naiboisho rangers (Gerard Beaton of Rekero and Jackson know the current state of play). Maybe the rangers will need to give them a little 'help'. They just need to avoid taking livestock!

Best from us

J and A

Great news Andy, as I followed Shingo & 6 pack back in Oct when the cubs were <2 mths old and an absolute joy to see and photograph. Still sad to hear of another mum/cub's demise.
Look forward to yours & Harshad's images on your return.