PDA

View Full Version : Hatchet Mountain Evening

John Platt
08-09-2011, 03:45 AM
These windmills in Northern California supply power to the northwest, on top of the mountain in the evening the light can be wonderful, the wind is always blowing making the foreground an issue most times. Still it is a wonderful place with easy access and lots to shoot.

ISO 200
Matrix Meter - 1/2 EV
1 sec & 1/4 second
F/16
Tripod
Blended 2 shot exposure
Cropped, curves, dodged/burned

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6077/6025242952_b503c5886a_b.jpg

Feedback welcome, I am always trying to learn.

JP

Roman Kurywczak
08-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Hey John,
I think I have passed these a few times! I would prefer that the windmills had a bit better of a diagonal comp....or should I say....continued right. While the sunset is very nice there.....it draws me away fom the line of windmills and the mountain. Did you take a tighter comp eliminating the right.....perhaps vert? I would also play with the SS......just to see which one gives the blades the best look. Just some thoughts to keep in mind for next time out. I'll be away running my tour to Tanzania until the 28th.....so if you have others.....I won't respond until I get back.

Brendan Dozier
08-09-2011, 03:02 PM
John, Roman makes some good suggestions, but this makes for an interesting and pleasing comp. Really like the cloud pattern and colors of the sky. Nice contrast between the FG and sky

John Platt
08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Roman,

Have fun in Tanzania, that sounds incredible. I also shot it this way.... Couldn't decide which to post, I love the wide angle look so I went with the big sky. Thanks for the feedback, I am always trying to learn.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/6019692903_4981804ac9_b.jpg

Dave Mills
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Hi John, I like the overall look of the original but feel the image is too heavily weighted to the left compositionally. In the computer I cropped the image from the right to just after the closest tree to the mountain.
This changed the image to more of a vertical but I feel it's a lot stronger comp. Roman mentioned perhaps a vert and I feel it works. A gudeline in photography(not a hard fast rule) is objects work better compositionally in odd numbers. In this case I feel the 3 windmills are a better choice...

John Platt
08-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks Dave, I agree that the three windmills work better. I will have to go back and shoot them some more... I can hardly wait for another good sky!

John Platt
08-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks Brendan, I agree that the image could use some cropping. This was my first time out with the GND filters, it is a learning experience for sure!

Jerry van Dijk
08-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi John, I like both versions very much. I just love the BG and the colors in the sky in the first version Comment on both is that it's a pity that you cut off the blades from the front windmill. I like the blurred blades in the first image. Great advice composition wise already given. Moving to the right from where you were standing would separate the moutain more from the windmills and would give a balance point in the right part of the image. I would be inclined to lose the lighter colored grass in the FG

Robert Amoruso
08-10-2011, 05:05 PM
John,

Good subject you have here and looking for more images of them. I would suggest leaving more room around the blades so they are not to close or clipped at the image's edges.

John Platt
08-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I agree completely about shooting a little too tight, I was on a scouting trip and had only one lens along. Unfortunately there is a fence which prevented me from changing angles or backing up.... I will return with a 14-24mm which will change everything. As it was I ended up stitching together 3 vertical shots to get as much as I could.