PDA

View Full Version : Snack time

Steve Maxson
08-08-2011, 08:20 PM
This fly (possibly one of the Marsh Flies - Family Sciomyzidae) was feeding on this small pupa. As an added bonus, there is a tiny unidentified insect in the LL also hoping for a meal. 5D II, MP-E 65 mm at 1X, 1/100, f/16, ISO 250, MT24-EX macro twin flash (diffused), HH. I removed some small bits of debris from the leaf and ran nr on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jason Stander
08-09-2011, 02:55 AM
Hi Steve... great work... firstly exposure is superb... love the comp... the diagonal line makes for a great leading line... detail is impecable... and lastly you have an added bonus interaction... VVWD!:w3

christopher galeski
08-09-2011, 05:02 AM
excellent image Steve,good detail,good exposure,nice angle.well done.

John Storjohann
08-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Hit Steve,

Wonderful job with the exposure...you managed to diffuse the light from the flash enough where the image is devoid of harsh shadows or specular highlights...great job controlling the DOF as well. The veins in the leaf draw your eye though the frame and to the subject without being distracting and the color and sharpness are spot on. Great job! Are you sure that little fellow isn't trying to hide so he doesn't become dessert? :bg3:

Roman Kurywczak
08-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Just awesome!!! Light, comp, action.....all over the top and great control of the flash too!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

jack williamson
08-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Exquisite detail! The bonus little bug is perfect. Just wondering if the fly found this pupae like this or did it break open the pupae case itself?

Jack

Susan Candelario
08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Spectacular in every way, Steve! Can't add much more. Love it! :5

Daniel Cadieux
08-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Cool! Excellent details and impeccable use of flash. The interaction is a big plus.

Steve Maxson
08-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for you comments everyone!

Jack - I didn't see how the fly came to be feeding on the pupa - if I had to guess, I would say that it was probably scavenging a food source that some other organism had started to feed on. :S3: