PDA

View Full Version : Brolags

Ofer Levy
08-08-2011, 06:05 AM
1D mark IV, Canon 600 f4, x1.4, 1/2000, f9, iso 800, car as a hide

Another one I recnetly got in Broome, Western Australia. First time I have seen and photographed these Australian Crans.

About 75% of full frame

Randy Stout
08-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Ofer:

Interesting looking birds, like our sandhill cranes but with ear muffs and wattles:bg3:
Good sense of the habitat without obstructing our view too much.

Strong light with some shadowing of faces.

I might try a version with the one grass shoot that extends up into the sky removed.

Always a challenge with multiple subjects to get them all looking the same way.

Cheers

Randy

Mike Milicia
08-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Love the setting, colors, and general positioning of the group of birds in the frame, but the specific arrangement and set of poses don't do much for me.

Gerald Kelberg
08-08-2011, 07:58 AM
These guys seem to be so rarely photographed that I can forgive them for not knowing how to pose for the camera :w3. Read about them in Peter Matthiessen's book, but this is the first time I have seen a photograph of them. So thanks!

Bill Dix
08-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Love the habitat. Pretty tough to get 8 birds to cooperate on head angle, and some of the heads seem a bit soft. Still, kudos for getting the species in a nicely evocative image.

Austin Thomas
08-08-2011, 09:05 AM
@Bill I can see 9...

@Ofer I like the yellows and blues in the environment and the reds on the bird show well against that BKGR. I would have preferred a lower or higher view to move the heads of the birds off the horizon line.

Well done on capturing the image of what is obviously a rarely photographed subject.

Cheers

Austin

gail bisson
08-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Ofer,
This a really neat picture. I agree about removing the longest shoot of grass. I like the tiny crane between the 3rd and 4th crane.
Gail

Sachin Saraf
08-08-2011, 01:48 PM
This is wonderful Image Ofer love the habitat...some of the heads look soft but it is always tough as you already stopped down to f/9.

Doug Brown
08-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Can't say that I've ever seen this species before; thanks for sharing! The head angles and the overlapping birds aren't working for me in this one Ofer. And I might remove the vegetation that extends up into the sky.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Ofer, like the sense of habitat in this one. shooting angle wise, I think multiple good versions were possible here. going lower would have created a totally different image with FG blur. I think I'd have liked that one as well. but this one's good too....even with the horizon behind the heads. Little higher would have been nice as well. very nice image. A round of USM on the birds will improve it.

Chad Caswell
08-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Great habitat shot and like Randy said very much like our Sandhill Cranes, Like how you caught just enough light in most all of their eyes. Great group shot fur sure.

noelle zaleski
08-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Congrats on your first Ofer!

Very nice group image. I really like the environment :S3:

Marina Scarr
08-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Congrats on seeing and photographing this species for the first time. They are pretty impressive looking and much like ours. I think you did well with what you had to work with here. I like the grouping of the birds. You couldn't have gone lower IMHO b/c of the FG grasses. I only wish your light were less harsh, but you probably wish that as well. I like the tall vegetation b/c it really gives you an idea of how tall these cranes are.

Troy Lim
08-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Very nice Ofer...perfect DOF.