PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat and Kid

DanWalters
08-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Captured this image this morning on Mount Evans. Love how these kids just drape themselves all over the adults. Thanks for looking.

Canon 1D Mark2
500mm f/4L
1/1250 f/7.1
ISO 125
RAW

Nancy Bell
08-07-2011, 10:23 PM
This is fabulous. You captured a great moment with the kid and the mom. The pose is precious, the light and the clarity are beautiful, and the whites on the goats perfect. I really like the tiny detail of the yellow flowers in the foreground where the kid seems to be looking. When I was there last month most of the adults had very ragged coats. This mom looks sleek and clean.

John Blumenkamp
08-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Fantastic image Dan! Your low angle works really well here, and the eye contact with the adult is great versus the playful pose of the kid.

Ofer Levy
08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
This is a winner big time!:cheers:

DanWalters
08-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Thank you! I have a feeling these kids really wear the adults out!

jack williamson
08-08-2011, 08:46 AM
That's funny! I have seen a few of these mountain goat images lately with a little one draped over another goat. This is a great image! Excellent job with the whites and sharpness. I love the flowers.

Jack

denise ippolito
08-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Fantastic soft light and great moment captured!:S3:

Morkel Erasmus
08-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Dan this is the best Mountain Goat image posted here in the past 2 weeks (IMHO) hands down, and we've had excellent images coming through. Love the low angle, the sweet light, the perfect timing and the dash of colour from the flowers.
Uber congrats on this one...:5:cheers::5

If I have to crit something it would be that I would prefer a tad off the RHS (say up to first yellow flower) and a wee bit more on RHS for balance...but that's really nit-picking. :bg3:

Steve Canuel
08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Nice one Dan. You got a nice angle here (as well as a nicely groomed goat), the flowers add some nice touches of color, and you captured some great interaction. Exposure and detail very nice as usual.

DanWalters
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks again! And for the crop suggestion Morkel!

Steve Kaluski
08-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Hi Dan, nice to see you posting here again. :cheers:

My first impression was I felt it looked a bit light and needs a bit more perhaps in the Exposure department, just to add a bit more 'pop & depth' IMHO? In tweaking the exposure, tone & contrast I feel the image has more depth and punch, offering a bit more richness to the main subjects & habitat. I can see where Morkel is coming from re crop, as I had exactly the same thought, but I can also see exactly why you shot it as is. Just my thoughts dan for what it's worth, have refrained from a repost, kept that on the desktop. :w3

These goats are proving to be great fun, offering huge enjoyment to all and it's a pleasure to view. :5

TFS
Steve

DanWalters
08-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks Steve! Appreciate the feedback.

Steve Kaluski
08-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Dan, a little kid is on its way too you.

cheers
Steve

Stan Cunningham
08-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Calendar time!
Like every one above I like many things, especially the sharpness and great exposure.
I can't quite figure out what is happening to the front right leg (hoof?) of the kid though?

Danny J Brown
08-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Hey Dan -- Congratulations on a fantastic capture here. It brings to mind a whitetail fawn propped up on her mamas back a few years ago in Nature's Best. This is my favorite photo I've seen in awhile at BPN.

DB

DanWalters
08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks again! The front leg of the kid was bent in while lying on the back.