PDA

View Full Version : Canoe/kayak shooters

Jason Kinsey
08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
For those of you out there that shoot from a canoe or kayak, what type of rig do you like and why? I own a 16' canoe myself, but am wanting to purchase something along the lines of a NuCanoe or Native Ultimate here in the next year or so. I've made some pontoons that help out a good bit with the stability of my rig, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. I've seen folks shooting out of sit on top kayaks, sit inside kayaks, canoes, and everything in between, and all of them are a great way to get closer to our subjects and get some exercise too. Just curious to see what you all have to say, it seems like there are more and more images posted that were captured from kayaks. What say you???

Bob Decker
08-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi Jason. I find modern kayaks much more stable than canoes. Here's a link to an article I did on gearing up for kayak photography. It appeared in "Camera in the Wild" and "Crystal Coast Outdoors" magazines. It should give you some insight into my take on your question. http://carolinafootprints.com/Docs/PhotoKayakArticle_web.pdf. Hope it helps.

FWIW, if I were purchasing a new kayak today I'd probably go with a Wilderness Systems Pungo 140. It comes closer to the length (speed) of a touring kayak with the stability and roomy cockpit of a recreational class boat.

Danny J Brown
08-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi Jason,

I use a Wilderness Commander 120 (about $1000.00) in Camo for my kayak photography. I bungee down my Gitzo and mount that 500/4 with a 1D4 right on that baby. The Commander 120 has a sliding seat for sitting "in" and a molded seat for sitting "on" so you can go either way or switch back and forth. It is my understanding that the guy that designed this kayak originally designed the Native Ultimate 12 and then broke off from that company to design for Wilderness but that might just be an urban legend....ha. Good luck!

Robin Prange
08-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi Jason,
I too couldn't figure how to get closer to the birds here in the Connecticut ponds and lakes. Last year someone turned me on to a SeaEagle. Wow, perfect, just what I was looking for! Extremely portable, swivel seat and built for professional work. I put my big LowePro bag under my legs with the 500 attached to the 1DIV and the "never go without" 400 5.6. I feel very secure that my photo investments will not end up on the bottom of the lake because the small boat could never flip or sink. I also got the smallest electric motor to help me get to the farthest distances before the good light fades. Well the secret is out.......I could not be happier with my SeaEagle. Here is the link to the model that I got. Check out my website, all the Great Blue Herons BIF were shot from the SeaEagle. Hope this helps. http://www.seaeagle.com/FramelessPontoonBoats.aspx

Cheers! Robin

Chris Poole
08-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I use a Ultimate 12 and 14 which allow for easy positioning, stable decent paddling craft along with the spray skirts for those days of bad weather, but also use my Dorado II when I want to get somewhere in a hurry plus it has a enclosed area to store big items. I utilize plenty of sealline bags and a few Kata element covers to keep my stuff dry. I also fish a lot out of a kayak in the backwaters from SC to the Keys.

Robert vanMierop
09-26-2011, 08:41 PM
I fish and shoot from a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. There are lots of other good yaks out there, but I'm happy with this one. Storage above and below...you can put a dry bag below a covered hatch if it rains. I've fished lots of yaks and canoes. The canoes have way more room inside the hull, but much of it is out of reach unless you crawl towards it. Yaks tend to be a little quieter if a paddle bumps into it too. Shop around, go for some test rides and post those photos!