PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Lotus Blossom

Bob Miller
08-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Photographed at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens outside of Wash DC.

Nikon D3s
200-400mm @340mm
ISO200
Tripod
1/60 f5.6
All Comments welcome! How is the bg? crop?

John Storjohann
08-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Hi Bob;

Beautiful lotus bloom...as much as I love lotus, I'd love to have the opportunity to shoot some with this color. You've got a very good base image...for what it's worth, these are my thoughts...I'd evict the leaf at the edge of the RHS...and then crop a bit from the bottom...possibly a bit from the right after you evict the leaf, I'm not sure. One thought would be even to make something of a panoramic from the image..tighten the crop and add some canvas to the left and use content aware fill..I'm just thinking out loud! There's so much potential for so many different looks!

christopher galeski
08-08-2011, 07:22 AM
very nice Bob,like how the lotus stands out with the dark BG.thanks.

Steve Maxson
08-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi Bob. These are really spectacular flowers with awesome colors and the lighting on this one really brings those out. John has some interesting suggestions for you to consider. I am wishing I could see the rest of the yellow center - maybe a step to your left would have afforded that view? Nevertheless, this is a very cool image - I'd like to see one of these flowers someday. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
08-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Hey Bob,
Beautiful light and I like the diagonal of the bloom. I browser cropped....just off the bottom leaving about 1/2 inch below the u in the leaf at 7 oclock position......the rest then works for me. I do feel Steve made a good in the field point too to keep in mind for in the field.....but overall......this is very nicely done!!!

Daniel Cadieux
08-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Looks like the flower is glowing...very neat effect. I too wish the center was not clipped, and moving to your left a wee bit (or going a little higher) were options to consider. I like the crop suggestions, and the BG looks great.