PDA

View Full Version : Sand Martins

Jonathan Ashton
08-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS handheld ISO 400-0.3 1/2000 sec f8

There is a sandmartin colony on the banks of the River Dee about 10 min walk from where I live, I had previously got images of birds from the main colony but this was a single nest, newly built and only about 10-12 feet above ground level.

All C & C welcome

Austin Thomas
08-07-2011, 05:55 PM
A great find Jon,

I would be spending a lot of time with these Sand Martins if they were so close to my house.

I like the story telling element of this picture very much. Maybe a little more separation between the adult and the young would help isolate the main subject.

Cheers

Austin

Randy Stout
08-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Jon:

Austin hit the important points well. Much to like, main concern is the separation issue. Look forward to other frames with a little more space between them.

I am a bit torn on the green. Adds some needed color, but does tend to pull the eye off to the right. Might try a version without, just to see how it works for you.

Cheers

Randy

Vivaldo Damilano
08-08-2011, 02:12 AM
I would spend lots of time there, you could land up with some fantastic BIF esp when light is softer. I love the interaction and open mouth TFS:cheers:

Stu Bowie
08-08-2011, 03:05 AM
The begging mouth does it for me here, and agree you could have endless inflight shots from this location.