PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D3s - optimal settings for wildlife/avian photography

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi guys. So I got my new gear...and would like to know if there's a thread/link somewhere (maybe it's been posted before) showing how to best setup the AF (etc) of the D3s for wildlife/avian photography? I found Doug Brown's setup tut of the 7D on Greg Basco's blog very helpful after purchasing my 7D last year. :Whoa!:

Any help/links would be appreciated. :t3

S Roy Choudhury
08-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Congratulations Morkel! Could not help myself but to congratulate you...it's a beautiful piece of camera....

Pedro Serralheiro
08-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Some help
http://www.outthereimages.com/images/D3S_Setup_Guide.pdf

What I found to be the most useful is to use the 21 AF points, and pump away those ISO
Also check Andy Rouse site
And Why not mine... :S3:

www.pedrosfotografia.com

Danny J Brown
08-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Congrats on purchasing one beast of a camera! I doubt you'll find something as awesome as Doug Brown's 7D guide but who knows...maybe it's out there. Now I'll be expecting more images like that owl in flight that looks like dracula from 500px......wow, I couldn't stop looking at that image for days!

DB

arash_hazeghi
08-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I use the following for flight:

Dynamic AF with 9 or 11 point expansion. 9 with TC 11 w/o TC.
Priority: release + Focus
lock-on delay: short or off (depending on the BG and type of bird)
With the D3S you can program the upper front CFn button plus the main command dial to rapidly toggle between AF expansion modes without taking your eye off the finder. Use the rear AF mode selector to rapidly toggle between single and dynamic area AF when needed (eg. bird that is flying parallel but then banks for starts flying towards you)

Hope this helps

Danny J Brown
08-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Congrats on purchasing one beast of a camera! I doubt you'll find something as awesome as Doug Brown's 7D guide but who knows...maybe it's out there. Now I'll be expecting more images like that owl in flight that looks like dracula from 500px......wow, I couldn't stop looking at that image for days!

DB

Senior moment......Mixing up my Morkels and Axels. Both of you make awesome images though; that's for sure! :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
08-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks guys...nice setup guide that...

Arash - good idea, will set it up like that immediately!

Danny - I am humbled that you mixed us up :e3, and thanks for the compliment :c3:

Greg Basco
08-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Morkel, just send me your camera, and I'll do a D3s setup blog post for you!:S3:

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Morkel Erasmus
08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Morkel, just send me your camera, and I'll do a D3s setup blog post for you!:S3:

Greg, I'd love to, just not sure if I can afford the courier fees?? :Whoa!::w3

Harshad Barve
08-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Welcome to Dark side bhai , you will never regret

Deborah Harrison
09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Check out Thom Hogan's website (byThom.com) - full of useful information. His guides are also excellent and made my transition to the dark side much easier.

Morkel Erasmus
09-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks Deborah - know about Thom but have to admit to not frequently browsing his site :)