PDA

View Full Version : Goldfinch

Katie Rupp
08-07-2011, 01:48 PM
It's great to have a friend who lives on Sauvie Island (Portland, Oregon) to visit in the summer when you live in Las Vegas! We set up this perch and when the sun finally came out on my last morning there I had a blast! C&C encouraged and greatly appreciated.

1dm3; f6.3, 1/1250; ISO 640; 500f4

dankearl
08-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Nice shot and I live in Portland and spend a lot of time on Sauvie island.
One of the best and least publicized birding areas in the Northwest.
The BG is nice, I would maybe darken the upper right hand corner bit and maybe
take a little off the left side.

Sidharth Kodikal
08-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Lovely bg and slanted perch. I like the loose crop. Going a bit tighter would also work well here I feel.
I'd tone down the highlights on the chest.'
Very nice image. TFS.

Nico Steenberg
08-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Great perch and bg. Subject is sharp and well exposed Ditto to tone the hightlights :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi Katie
I love the space here and overall IQ...agree on toning down brightest tones.
Maybe a good crop is to remove some from the LHS so that the branch begins in bottom LHS corner? :Whoa!:

Katie Rupp
08-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Hi Katie
I love the space here and overall IQ...agree on toning down brightest tones.
Maybe a good crop is to remove some from the LHS so that the branch begins in bottom LHS corner? :Whoa!:

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments; is the repost an improvement?

Morkel, I've been told before to avoid having branches, etc. exit from a corner and I specifically avoided doing that with this image so I'm interested in your opinion? This is a fairly large crop and in retrospect I wish I had used the 1.4x teleconverter...happy to hear the loose crop is standing up.

Ron Sprunger
08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
It's a great capture, and I personally love the crop and bg. In the re-post it appears to me you've done a conservative tone-down on the breast, and I like it. Very nice!

Luis Villablanca
08-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Excellent perch, background and composition. I think the yellow is a bit hot though (even on the repost the red channel is very close to 255).
I would suggest reducing the exposure on the highlights.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
perch, BG, comp...all excellent. So is the sharpness. agree that looks a bit overexposed. Yellows are always hard.