PDA

View Full Version : Tufted Titmouse

Scott Schupbach
01-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi,I'm ready to take some criticism.I'm just starting to do some Bird and Nature stuff.I shoot a lot of Sports and was hoping this would help with my PP skills.This image was captured with the MarkIIN,400/2.8IS with 1.4x,1/400th @f4.5 on Gitzo Monopod.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Please follow these instructions how to attach an image: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=364

Scott Schupbach
01-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks Axel, I think I got it.

LouBuonomo
01-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, Typically we would try to get closer but I understand if you were thinking room for text above. The OOF branches are a distraction and I see a fair bit of noise. What ISO were yo shooting at ?

Lou

Arthur Morris
01-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi SS, We are not here to critcize, we are here to help you improve. First suggestion, start practicing witht he 400 2.8 and the 2X teleconverter. Your image is very sharp, and the light is soft and lovely. Lou B is correct, the foreground branches are killers. With the omin-directional light, it would have been great if you could have moved well to your left so that that branch would not be between you and the subject. The background, though lovely and soft, is a problem nonetheless. Why? Because the lightest color is behind the bird where it pulls the eye from the subject. Again, changing your perspective could have helped. laslty, the o-o-f branch in the background can easily be removed with the Patch Tool.

later and love, artie

Scott Schupbach
01-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Well, Typically we would try to get closer but I understand if you were thinking room for text above. The OOF branches are a distraction and I see a fair bit of noise. What ISO were yo shooting at ?

Lou

Lou,I was at ISO 400.

Art,Thanks for correcting me.I really appreciate all the great advise here.I will just keep practicing.

Scott

Christof Ruch
01-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Hi Scott,
because you asked regarding PP: Could it be you sharpened the BG as well? If the BG has some noise in it because of high ISO, its usually a good idea to limit the area that is sharpened to the edges only. If you look for "selective sharpening" or "edge masks sharpening" on the web, you might find some starting info.
Any hey - lovely bird. I like the expression on his face :-)
Cheers,
Christof