PDA

View Full Version : Austfonna ice cap

Steve Kaluski
08-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Hi Roman, just to wet your appetite even more...

Shot very early in the morning, just as the sun began to rise, this is Austfonna, an ice cap located on Nordaustlandet in the Svalbard archipelago.

And just for scale:
- 200km in circumference
- Thickness up to 560m, average thickness 235m
- The ice dome reaches an elevation of 783 meters above sea level
Thank God for the web :bg3:

Subject: Austfonna ice cap, Svalbard
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 1.4x - handheld
Exposure: 1/160s at f9 ISO400 +0.67 stop compensation
Crop: FF (original capture horizontal)

PS: Levels/Curves/small amount of USM

Dave Mills
08-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Hi Steve, nice light and good job getting the details in the bright and shaded areas. At first I thought to level the ice but now I'm having reservations. For my taste I would crop the sky just below your name...

Robert Amoruso
08-08-2011, 07:03 AM
This is very appealing image Steve. I like the contrast - though high, the soft blues in the shadows play well with the golden tones.

I would love to see this scene with an image taken looking head-on at the ice cap so that the lines where vertical (ice wall) and horizontal (water line - and top of ice).

Steve Kaluski
08-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Thanks Dave & Robert, somehow I think Ansel Adams is safe.

This might give a better impression, technically not brilliant, this is just to try to give scale.

cheers
Steve

Judy Howle
08-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I like the composition and colors and the details in the blue shadows show up well. Nice work. I agree about a small crop off the top.

Morkel Erasmus
08-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Really like the lines, textures and colour contrasts in your OP Steve...a scene I would love to see someday...:Whoa!:

Roman Kurywczak
08-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Hey Steve,
Off to Tanzania Thursday......so Svarbard will have to wait! I like the pano recomendations and also see opening up the shadows .....just a bit. But those are minor preferences to a nicely composed image!

Steve Kaluski
08-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone, may try to think about landscape images when away next. :S3:

Rachel Hollander
08-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Steve - nice to see you posting in landscapes. I like the lines and the gold and blue tones of the OP. Well done!

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
08-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks Rachel, I guess I should do more, albeit in a simple format, as per above, however I really don't have the time for set-ups, filters & the required PP work. Work posted here is of a very high standard and the time & effort put into achieving the images is very evident.

Trust we may get to see some of your most recent trip. :w3

Thanks again.
Steve