PDA

View Full Version : Plains Zebra Troupe

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Went out early yesterday morning to a local reserve to begin to get the hang of my new Nikon gear.

Action was limited but I was happy to be out shooting in the cool winter breeze. This herd of plains zebras looked at me stoically.
I enjoyed working with the 500mm with and without the TC-14E-II teleconverter.

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 @ 1/1600 SS @ ISO-400

Vivaldo Damilano
08-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Morkel welcome to the dark side:w3:bg3: Great choice getting the D3s and 500mm, lens is not to big and will work nicely for both animals and birds. This image is nicely balanced, like the out of focus zebra's in the BG but do think this needs a bit more space at the bottom.

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks Vivaldo - yeah this is edge-of-frame at the bottom...still need to get used to handholding this lens (shooting through the opposite window of the vehicle :e3)

Hilary Hann
08-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Morkel, I like this a lot. I like the warm tones in the grass and the dof giving the grass that soft, slightly textured feel. The oof zebras all looking at the camera adds, in my opinion, to the image. Nicely done.

BTW, I do think that people get a bit hung up on camera equipment. A good practitioner with good vision will get excellent results from all the major players. That being said, enjoy the new gear as it is always fun to having a new toy to play with. :S3:

Marc Mol
08-07-2011, 09:22 PM
A BIG welcome to the club Morkel :bg3:
Love the lighting and overall colour here, a bit more lower room (as mentioned) only nit here.
TFS

DanWalters
08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Great light and color. Like the OOF zebras in the background.

John Blumenkamp
08-07-2011, 10:49 PM
I like this a lot Morkel... the background zebras at varied distances really make the main subject pop, and the image really has a great 3-D look to it. Nice work!

Marina Scarr
08-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I really like the light and composition here, and agree with John on the 3-D look to it. Would like a tad more room on the bottom but understand you don't have it. I am confident that your pictures will be just as impressive, even if you did cross over to the dark side. :bg3:

Jason Stander
08-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi Morkel... I really like this image... you get a lazy feel with the movement of the zebra... and that warm afternoon sun... very well captured... enjoy the new additions:2eyes2:

Morkel Erasmus
08-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for viewing and commenting folks...should have some more opportunities to play with the kit soon...:Whoa!:

Steve Canuel
08-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Congrats on the new gear. First thought that popped into my mind when viewing this one was that this guy drew the short straw and was walking off to face the lions on his own as the others watched him walk away. I like the separation between focus and OOF, but wish for a touch more sharpness on the back ones.

Steve Kaluski
08-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Not to 'shabby' for Nikon Morkel. :bg3:

Like the composition and the OOF zebra are just right I feel. Good control of the blacks, but would just like a hint more at the foot of the image, a little tight for me. Well you have no excuses Morkel in not nailing that shot anymore. :w3

Seem like Xmas has come to both of us early, enjoy your new kit and look forward to more fruitful images.

Steve :5

Todd Frost
08-09-2011, 06:04 PM
As mentioned, nice gear choice...good to have another Nikonian in the group. Nice comp and dof in this image. Agree with a little more at the bottom. Nice colors and sharpness.
TFS
Todd