PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Yellowlegs

Keith Carver
08-07-2011, 09:00 AM
This non-breeding plumage Lesser Yellowlegs was foraging at Weskeag Marsh, South Thomaston, Maine on 8-5-2011. An elegant shorebird, very common in August and September. Even though I've got a ton of LY pictures, just couldn't resist this one.

Techs: Canon 1DM3, 500 mm f4 w/ 1.4xTC, ISO 640, f/5.6, 1/500 sec. Post: selective NR on BG, slight contrast tweak on head and bill.

C&C appreciated!

Grace Scalzo
08-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Reflection of the bird and the reed, color palette, striding pose, all great. Wish his head was turned just a bit into the light, and I'd also sharpen it a bit more.

Keith Carver
08-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Lovely photo Keith. Nice low angle and a clean reflection. Perfect background.
I suspected a slight yellow cast (probably late sun ?) and downloaded to verify. I took the liberty to also cleanup some of the cosmetic distractions, sharpened a bit, as per Grace's comment.

Thanks so much for your repost, Peter, which is a substantial improvement over the original. Removing the color cast helps, as does the cleanup and sharpening. Appreciate your taking the time to work on the image!

ChasMcRae
08-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Great artistic type image. Overall color,balance with grass and reflection. I think these type of images are harder to get in the field than portraits. Repost cleaned up tech things but I sort of liked the warmer image vs the colder image but personal.

Nico Steenberg
08-07-2011, 12:12 PM
The comp works well and the environment adds the the IMG !! Nice low angle and DOF with good colours. Super IMG !!

Katie Rupp
08-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I liked the original as posted and then Peter's repost really upped the ante. I might be tempted to take a bit off the top to give in a pano look. It really is lovely and has a serene feel.

Jason Stander
08-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Tranquil image... comp is well balanced... lovely bg and light colour... refection adds alot to image... sorry but like the second post... otherwise VVVVWD!:w3

Randy Stout
08-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Keith:

Very nice, quiet feel here. I like the BG colors better in the original, but do slightly prefer the bird in the repost.

Agree with Katie about a bit off the top (perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 of the free space there) to balance the reflection and subject.

Cheers

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Very neat comp. unique....well done. the calm water, walking pose, reflection, balance, BG...liked all that. Peter's repost addresses the concerns. I personally prefer more room over the head than there is below the reflection. So I like your crop.

Craig Kerr
08-09-2011, 10:22 AM
A well thought out composition Keith and the light quality is fabulous, great reflection and colors.