PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat Portrait

John Blumenkamp
08-06-2011, 10:52 PM
One of a handful of mountain goats I was fortunate to observe last weekend on Willard Peak here in northern Utah...

1DIV @ 500mm
1/1250 f/7.1 iso400
cropped from horizontal

Thanks for taking a look...

John

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I love this abstract composition John!
If anything I wish there was a hint more space RHS to 'complete' the curvature from the lower back to the nape of the neck. :bg3:

I figured this might work in B&W as well with the strong "golden mean" composition and the curves...so gave it a shot but there should be much more to work with in the RAW file...curious to have your thoughts?

Jess Lee
08-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Very nice job John. Good crop also. Just right all the way around.

DanWalters
08-07-2011, 09:54 PM
The close crop makes for a nice design. Nice detail in the whites as well.

Nancy Bell
08-07-2011, 10:27 PM
This is an intriguing view with curving lines of the back, curving lines of the horns and the clear brown eye. I like it very much.

John Blumenkamp
08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Morkel, since I cropped from a horizontal capture I'll play with another crop version and see how including more of the curve strikes me... good suggestion! I also really like the b&w conversion you did... thanks for taking the time to do so. Can you elaborate on the conversion method you did? Much appreciated!

John

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2011, 11:35 PM
No problem John. I converted this one in PS CS5 (as opposed to Nik Silver Efex 2 which I normally use) as I wanted more control over which colours to filter and how. I should have saved a screenshot of the settings, but off the top of my head the thinking behind it was as follows:

* I wanted to get the BG quite dark to make the white goat "pop". To do this I adjusted the green and yellow filters towards the left until I had the desired separation.
* I adjusted the other filters like blue/cyan/magenta to taste to enhance detail in the eye etc.

Hope this helps?

John Blumenkamp
08-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks Morkel... that does help! I'm interested in working with more b&w conversions, and it's good to hear your ideas & methods with this image.

Marina Scarr
08-08-2011, 09:47 AM
I like the idea you had here, John, and artistic quality but agree with Morkel on wishing to see more of the neck curve. That aside, I like it as presented as well.

Steve Canuel
08-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Neat comp John. I like the secretive, "over the cloak" look. Nice detail and simple colors in the OP.