PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Flower closeup

Bob Miller
08-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Took this shot at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens outside of Wash DC. There were literally fields of these Lotus flowers!..amazing! :Whoa!:
Nikon D3s
90 mm Tamron macro
1/15 sec at f22
ISO 200
All comments welcome!

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Sweeeet Bob! Fileds you say?!!!.......may have to take a road trip next year! If you have a bit of room on the bottom....a hair...1/4 inch tops...just to make the center in the ROT position and not seem so tight on bottom.....but not a deal breaker at all. Clean up in the BG @ 1 o'clock...3:30 and 4.......take sthis over the top! Sweet light and an excellent comp make this a winner with a few minor tweaks taking it over the top!

John Storjohann
08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Bob, this is very nicely captured; the Botanical Gardens in St. Louis doesn't get the deep magenta/pink blooms that you've pictured here...the lotus we have at the Botanicals usually have a pink tinge at the tips of the petal. We also get the American Lotus natively; a pale cream color that grows wild in ponds and lakes and can literally take over a small body of water...it's pretty impressive when you see "fields" of them like that. Very nice detail on the petals here, with the ribbing and the tiny dew drops easily seen...the dark green of the pad makes the bloom pop even more. Roman made some good suggestions about some minor clean up...you nailed the exposure and I really like the composition as well. Great job!

christopher galeski
08-07-2011, 03:03 AM
nice image Bob,the flower nice and sharp,nice dark BG ,makes the flower sing,some clean ups in the BG like Roman sugested,will make this a magic image.thanks.

Steve Maxson
08-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi Bob. I love the colors - yellows, reds, greens. You also have excellent exposure and good DOF. I think the tweaks (comp and cleanup) mentioned by Roman will make this impressive image even better! :S3:

Anita Bower
08-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Excellent colors and the composition! I like the details of the petals, and the way the flower tips toward the center just a bit. The light is lovely and even. The little drops of water are a nice touch. I'd clone out all those little black spots. Might consider darkening the LRC. Beautiful flower, beautifully captured!