PDA

View Full Version : Svalbard waters

Steve Kaluski
08-06-2011, 12:16 PM
With the sad news of yesterday, Svalbard has attracted a lot of media coverage.

I rarely shoot landscapes, but I thought I might make an exception and venture onto here and post this. No chance of setting-up, using nice Lee filters and long exposures as this is taken on board ship. Shot late afternoon as we made our way through the ice cold waters, breaking our way through, as the ice pack began to form, however occasionally you would get these nice 'ice sculptures' (icebergs) that would form. Great if you can see them.

Steve
Subject: Svalbard landscape
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 24-70f/2.8 - handheld
Exposure: 1/500s at f5.6 ISO200 0 stop compensation Circular polariser
Crop: Almost FF (original capture vertical)

PS: Levels/Curves/small amount of USM

Grant Atkinson
08-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Stunning Steve, what a beautiful shot. Love the depth created by the cloud patterns, and the far off island in the distance, and of course, the main point of interest being that intense blue in the close up iceberg...well done with this.
cheers
Grant

Dave Mills
08-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi Steve, welcome aboard! The light is beautiful along with interesting subject matter and a great sky. I like how the open water acts as a good foreground(base element) to the berg. The dramatic sky adds alot to the image and if this were mine I would crop about an inch off the top(measuring the post) to a small bit below the top cloud line where it comes out from the left. Nice capture!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey Steve,
Glad to see you in here and Svalbard is on the top of my list.....although I would love to concentrate on the ice more! Tough on the boat! You did an excellent job for all the reasons mentioned above. I think you did very well with the depth of the blues and placed everything very well too comp wise. I did debate a slight crop off top (just below your sig) and proportionally left......not a huge difference but might be something you may explore and by no means a deal breaker! All in all...very nicely done!

dankearl
08-06-2011, 06:48 PM
It is stunning, the light and colors are terrific.

Roger Clark
08-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Hi Steve,

Spectacular image! I would not crop it, as the colors in the iceberg match the range of colors in the sky at the top.

Roger

Steve Kaluski
08-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Cheers guys, I guess I fall into that phrase 'I just can't see the picture' when shooting landscapes and just went with what I think looks right. Like a lot of fantastic and incredible landscapes posted, ALL superbly executed, but you really need to be there to appreciate it, in it's true glory. :S3:

Obviously Roman this trip was primarily looking for Polar bears, but like a lot of wildlife, they have a stunning back yard that sadly is slipping away, like the animals themselves.

Thanks again folks.
Steve

Andrew McLachlan
08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi Steve, beautiful shot. Love the cloud formations and the iceberg. I like Dave's crop suggestion for this one.

Robert Amoruso
08-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Steve,

Agree with the above and especially the crop form the top. If you put a ROT cropping tool on this and bring the top grid down to where the strong whit cloud starts in the left, the whole image falls into a nice ROT format.

Jason Hurst
08-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Simply spectacular Steve!

Who says the 1D Mk III can't do landscapes!

Love the colours!!