PDA

View Full Version : Curio Bay, South Island, NZ

Jay Gould
08-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Morning shoot for seaweed and penguins. The little guys would come up this channel to get out of the water and go up to their nests.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 01/05/11; 6:36am
Light condition: overcast sunrise
Lens: 24-105
Focal length: 24mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: .06 sec
Aperture: f/16
Exp Comp:
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One shot
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR RNDs and GND
Crop: minimal
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3, CS5, Tony Kuyper Actions, NIK CEP and Sharpener

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Dave Mills
08-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi Jay, first off nicely framed! Your foreground is the star of the image since nothing equals it's interest due to it's dominance,color and texture. The crop is tight which accentuates the foreground and minimalizes
the blah sky. I like the water flow to the right of the kelp but honestly haven't made up my mind about the look it generates inside the kelp area. I like the way your approaching these compositions...

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey Jay,
Very good comp! I like the diagonal of the water flow.....and the colors and FG look good too! Only suggestion I have is to possibly tone down the brightest area of wave action near the center at 10 o'clock...and lighten/whiten the wave splash above the kelp.....but a bit stronger on the area that runs from the brightest area......making the diagonal comp even stronger. These are minor tweaks ....overall a very nice comp and a nice job in PP'ing too.....tweaks will make it shine!

Roger Clark
08-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi Jay,

Beautiful image. I really like the effect of the waves on the kelp, and I agree with Roman above: tone down the white wave that looks saturated (on my uncalibrated laptop).

I also like your quote about life. Is this yours? (I'm putting it in my list of quotes.)

What did you remove from the image?

Roger

Jay Gould
08-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Roger, I cannot claim the quote. I have seen it many times, and it is on one of my favorite T-shirts.

I am on the Hertz bus writing on my iPad enroute to LAX enroute to Australia. Will RP in a week or so. Cheers

Goodbye USA for another six months.

Roger Clark
08-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Jay,
Have a great trip (boy is that long).

Roger

PS Don't eat the cold chicken if they serve that.:w3 I got food poisoning from that on a LA - Sydney trip many years ago. Boy was that bad.

Jay Gould
08-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Six months? Nah! We are going home to The Beast (our new F450) and The Box (our new 24' caravan/trailer). I will post some more images of our home when we are settled Images of our rig on the Travepod now.

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Safe travels my friend......and from the calm musical preferences I favor......for the f450 and the rest.......let it rolll.....let it roll.......I'm unstoppable!!! As the capt for clarification!:eek3::Whoa!:

dankearl
08-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Nice photo, looks a bit OOTB processing, but different and the kelp looks like a painting of kelp.
Nice job.

Andrew McLachlan
08-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Hi Jay, another wonderful image!!! Have a great and safe trip :S3:

Robert Amoruso
08-08-2011, 06:52 AM
I agree with the above comments Jay and understand you chose to crop down from the top to (a) accentuate the kelp bed, and (b) minimize a uninteresting sky, but the image feels a bit cramped to me. I feel I would have liked just a bit more room on top.