PDA

View Full Version : Leucistic Mallard

wendell westfall
08-05-2011, 10:17 PM
D90 70-200VR+2X@240 1/2000 f5.6 ISO400 0EV monopod

This is from three days ago. The guy is one of five siblings born recently that I have been tracking from time to time -- all the others were colored normally. The light was good, and I believe I kept the whites in check even with no minus EV setting. I decided not to clone away the dark blurb in the background on the left side . . . does it detract? Adjustments (all minor): crop, S/H, USM, catch-light. Critiques appreciated.

Wendell

Ian Cassell
08-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi Wendall. What an interesting looking duck! He is well exposed and the whites are well maintained. I find the BG uninteresting and, as such, it detracts from the subject for me. I would experiment with a tighter crop on this one and, yes, I would be tempted to get rid of that dark blob.

Kerry Perkins
08-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Wendell, this is an interesting find for sure. You did a good job on the exposure and color rendition and captured a cute pose. I agree with Ian regarding the background, would be much nicer to have some foliage or water in the background. Good capture nonetheless! :c3:

Jeff Cashdollar
08-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Wendell, good advise from above, background does distract IMO and it's s too tight for me. Coloring is unique but the image would be stronger without blob and more natural habitat IMO. Keeping the whites in check is great, the techs are solid - nice job.

Bob Miller
08-07-2011, 05:09 PM
HI wendall. I like the sharpness and exposure on the bird. I am not crazy about the pose. The bird is a bit too central for me.