PDA

View Full Version : Western Wood-Pewee

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I took this image in June when my wife and I were outside Buffalo, WY at the HF-Bar dude ranch. We were cruising a country road looking for deer and other animals when we ran into this fellow in a bush along the road. He was very co-opertive and posed for at least five minutes. Shooting data as follows:
Nikon D3S
2011:06:25 15:40:45
600mm
600mm (in 35mm film)
Subject dist: 10.0m
1/250 sec, f/10
Mode: Manual
Metering: Spot
ISO: 1250
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 62.5MB
Image size: 944 x 1201
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: ProPhoto RGB

Robert Holguin
08-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Real nice shot. Love the background and the pose. Real nice detail but it seems like its feet are tad blurry. It might just be me. Other than well done.

Daniel Cadieux
08-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Always nice to get such a cooperative subject! You got a nice BG, and a good pose from the pewee. Looks like critical focus is on the breast...to my eyes the face area is not as sharp (I'm sure another round of sharpening there would help for we presentation). I'd also tone down the perch in areas. As is the comp has nice room for text above, but as a standalone image I'd like to see the bird a bit higher in the frame...BTW, good call on going vertical.

ChasMcRae
08-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Agree with Daniel and very interesting background green color. No hint of green on the bird that might occur in this situation.

Cody Covey
08-07-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree with Daniel that another round of sharpening would help the head. Also I see some noise in the tail area and a tiny bit in the background. All in all none of that really takes much away from the photo and I think it still looks great!