PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer Fawn

Nancy Bell
08-05-2011, 06:49 PM
I spent several evenings driving around the dirt roads looking for fawns to photograph. Murphy's law says that you will not find fawns on purpose but only when you have filled your plate for supper, are ready to sit down and see them right out your window. I grabbed my camera and followed the youngsters around for a while. When I returned I expected to find my supper cold but not that my dog ate my sausage :eek3:.

Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 400 f4 DO, 1/250, f4, exp. comp. +1/3, ISO 1250

C & C most welcome.

Steve Canuel
08-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Cute. Haven't seen many this year. I'm seeing a bit of a magenta/bluish cast on this one (specifically the lighter neck fur and sage). I see this on a lot of my shots taken in the cool shadows of the mountains. Based on my own experiences, how does this repost look (will remove upon request)?

Tom Graham
08-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Agree about the blue/magenta cast. But maybe it should be when taken near/just after sun down?
But I prefer it warmed up some.
Tom

Nancy Bell
08-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Steve, I like what you did alot. What slider did you slide?

Steve Canuel
08-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Nancy,
I'm using PS Elements 3 so I'm not sure how it translates to CS or newer versions of Elements but I basically just tweaked the hue, sat, and light/dark sliders in the color channels until I got something that looks similar to what I imagined your situation to be. I also ran a slight blur on the grass to reduce the file size for the repost but not because I thought the grass needed any NR. I dropped the sat on the blue and magenta channels while raising the light/dark sliders. I think I also messed with the hue on the red channel to more of the yellow side. Sorry I can't give you an exact method but I do all my PP on a "mood at the time" basis so I have no set methods. It did take less than 5 minutes to do it though.

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Cute fawn here Nancy! Steve's repost addresses the colour issues I had with your OP.
Obviously a lower angle would have been beneficial but I know it's not always possible with close sightings shot from the vehicle...:t3 The yellow flowers are a nice touch.

Nancy Bell
08-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Steve. I understand as I slide a little here and a little there also. But I'll play with it and see what I can get.

John Blumenkamp
08-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Nice capture of this little guy Nancy! I think Steve's color tweak looks good. Hope to see more.