PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington Summit Weather Station

Grady Weed
03-30-2008, 06:08 PM
This is the weather station atop Mt. Washington, photographed from the Cog Railway Station. The wind chill was fierce. The whole mountain is covered in rim ice, We enjoyed the drive over to New Hampshire. Crawford Notch was beautiful. I am going to post a trip sequence in the trip forum showcasing Mt Washington's beauty. Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 3/31/2008 12:42:54, Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/320Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F16, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -2/3, ISO Speed 100, Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x, Focal Length 600.0 mm. Tripod mounted with cable release.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Alfred Forns
03-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Grady you can drive up there?

Not sure what difference it would have made but a higher ISO would have given an much higher shutter speed You are shooting at 780mm and 1/320 sec Not a healthy combination I know you used a cable release but just worried about the wind One interesting image !!!

Roman Kurywczak
03-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I'd surmise from the fact you shot it at 780.........that you couldn't/didn't have the time to drive up. Nice diagonal.....but IMO......make it a pano crop to accentuate. Judging from the sky color..........was a polariser used? (my guess.yes). It looks mighty cold though,
Roman

Grady Weed
03-30-2008, 08:09 PM
LOL. You couldn't get me to drive up to the summit right now for all of the Canon Primes lens in the world. Well...maybe. No Alfred, the Cog Railway station is 1/3 rd the way up on a paved road off of Route 302 in Intervale New Hampshire. I too was apprehensive about the combo. I wanted to use the 5D, full frame with more pixels hence better resolution. But I went with the MK2n, 300 with 2x so the 1.3 would give more reach and help give me a closer look. That spot is pretty much the only way to get a decent image of the weather station as you see it here. One day I will have the 500 with a 2x for such shots.

No polarizer was used Roman.

I have been so hungry to shot lately. the winter just will not go away here. And the winter blues have been very bad for me this year. I have had severe depression for months now. Spring please come soon. Till then Alfred post some Florida birds for me. Thanks for looking.

Alfred Forns
03-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks Gray !!!! .... and I want snow images :)

Robert Amoruso
03-31-2008, 09:02 AM
The autoroad is closed in the winter. My wife and I climbed that mountain back in the 70's - boy those were the days when I could climb a mountain. We climbed from the Cog railroad side - the steepest climb with more elevation gain over a shorter distance then other routes up. Stayed at the Lake of the Clouds hut that evening, climbed to the top of Mount Jackson the next morning and then down. One of the best things I have ever done. The view was spectacular and the sunset and sunrise beyond belief.

Though Mount Washington is not a particularly tall mountain when compared to some of the tallest in the world, it has some of the worst measured weather in the world and I still believe the highest recorded wind speed ever.

We climbed in the spring - I am not stupid. ;)