PDA

View Full Version : Meadow Brown

Jonathan Ashton
08-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro Tripod ISO 200-0.3 fill in Flash -1.66 1/250 sec f10

I was out looking for Grayling butterflies but had no luck but as I was about to pack up this Meadow Brown came into view. I managed a few shots , I liked the proboscis on this one. I tidied up the background a little - just for Roman!
All C & C welcome.

John Storjohann
08-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Jonathon, I've come back to this image several times now..I really like it, and the curl of the "tongue" makes it for me!....you have a great composition, good sharpness and detail across the butterfly..to my eye, I wish it had just a little bit more "pop"...some additional saturation to the image...it looks a little muted.

christopher galeski
08-06-2011, 03:40 AM
nice image,I like the proboscis curled up,and the comp and BG,I think the thistle looks a bit muted,wants a bit of saturation to me,well done.

Jonathan Ashton
08-06-2011, 03:58 AM
I agree with the sentiment regarding saturation but if I increase it anymore it begins to clip the reds. I suppose I should sometimes just post colours that look reasonable as opposed to slavishly checking the histogram.

John Storjohann
08-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Jonathan, since the butterfly isn't so muted...maybe select the butterfly, inverse your selection, and then boost the saturation?

Jonathan Ashton
08-06-2011, 07:36 AM
I agree John, in fact I tried it and it does improve the image.

Bob Miller
08-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Nicely done!.....Love that proboscis! ....saturation issue / solution mentioned seems to me a good idea.

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Hey John,
BG looks good! Thanks!:w3 I don't mind that he is a bit beat up either.....tealls a story IMO. Perch is excllent too. I do think the proboscis curled up puts it up a notch and great point on the sat on the BG. Minor tweaks to a very nice image!

Steve Maxson
08-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Jonathan. That proboscis really makes the image! Of course the pose, sharpness, exposure, and background are all very nice too. Good suggestions above about the saturation. You might also consider blurring the rather sharp background edge just to the left of the wing. A couple easy tweaks to make this strong image even better. :S3: