PDA

View Full Version : marmalade hover fly

christopher galeski
08-05-2011, 08:14 AM
took this image today,tried something different by using extender ef 1.4x ii cannon,and 12mm extension tube,cannon 7D,cannon 100mm macro f2/8,IS,L,EFS,TRIPOD,cropped,sharpening,and brightened it up a tad.comments good or bad thanks.

Jason Stander
08-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Christopher... I personally think this a great image... for me the detail (esp on the tip of the stamina),exposure and dof is awesome... but the comp is too tight and boring... maybe tilt the comp and make more space for the hoverfly... otherwise VVVVVVWD!:w3

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey Christopher,
I'm ok with the tight comp....but I can also see Jasons point. My only recommendation is to crop or tone down the brightest area at the top frame edge getting rid of the light area on that edge. Fantastic clarity on the eyes....where it was critical......minor tweak will put this over the top for me!

John Storjohann
08-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Hi Christopher,

I'm going to straddle the fence between the previous suggestions...I like the tight comp, but I would add a little bit of space to the left, and about twice that amount of space to the bottom...and then bring down the highlight color on the upper edge of the frame. Like Roman stated, it won't take much to put this one over the top!

Jonathan Ashton
08-06-2011, 04:01 AM
I think the problem would have been solved just using the 100mm, a little less magnification would give more space and a little more DOF. I take my hat off to you though Chris you have some fine detail there.

christopher galeski
08-06-2011, 06:34 AM
thanks for your comments everybody,Jonathan,I have plenty of space on the original image,I chose to crop tight,but thanks for your comments.:cheers:

Bob Miller
08-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Chris...This is an awesome image....I am amazed at the detail and clarity you have here....only wish the fly were tilted a bit
How close you were you to the actual subject to get this kind of detail?

christopher galeski
08-07-2011, 02:51 AM
Hi BoB,I think I was between 4to5ins,no hood on lens,mirror lock up,remote,just experimenting,but like the results.thanks.

Steve Maxson
08-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi Christopher. Nice detail on the fly and I like the bluish pollen grains stuck to its antennas - a nice added touch. I could see toning down the brightest areas in the UR, but the tight crop and the vertical orientation of the fly are not bothering me. If you have extra room to work with on the original, you might experiment a little with different minor rotations to see if you like any of them better. Overall, this is very well done.