PDA

View Full Version : YELLOWSTONE WOLF

gary ellwein
08-05-2011, 12:34 AM
The wolf has just left an elk carcass. Clear, mid AM, with the subject in a deep ravine with low light. Nikon D3s, Nikkor 600mm with 1.4TC, f5.6, 1/800, iso 6400. PS color balance, usm. I did not attempt to remove any vegetation around the subject. C & C appreciated. No birds on the trip. With adult kids and grandkids along photography was secondary.

Jeff Cashdollar
08-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Gary, love the grassy background and colors. A wolf as a subject is exciting too, have only seen a few. Lots of focal length with low light, nice tripod technique. The image would be stronger if the face was not obstructed by vegetation IMO. Really like the habitat and licking teeth pose.

Ian Cassell
08-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Gary, the exposure and colors are good. I love the licking of the chops! I agree that it would be a lot stronger if the face was not obstructed. I'm not wild about the pano crop. I think it would be stronger if it were a bit taller and not as wide and the wolf was moved more towards the upper right corner

Kerry Perkins
08-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Gary, I love the detail and exposure on the wolf, but unfortunately it is mostly obscured by the grass. If you had gotten the head in the clear, this would work for me, but as it is it's just not doing it. The parts that are visible look quite nice.

Tom Graham
08-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Color for me has definite blue/magenta cast. But I was not there.
Tom

gary ellwein
08-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks to all for C & C. I agree the image would have been stronger with more exposure of the face. I'll be in the park over Chistmas and will try again. Less vegetation that time of year.

Gary

Kerry Perkins
08-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Gary, I'm sure you will get some good ones and look forward to seeing them! I envy your location, so close to the park... I have been to Idaho Falls, Pocatello, and Twin Falls. Nice country there.